How to Route Wires Around Pool

Jul 10, 2014
Baton Rouge, LA
How are wires (i.e. wiring for pool lights, landscaping, speakers, etc.) typically routed around the pool during construction? I've heard some builders mention using "sleeves" (2" PVC pipe), which kind of makes sense, but with my design, the sleeves would have too many (I think) turns and tees, which would make it almost impossible to fish wires where they need to go. Or do they just lay the wires directly in the trenches or a combination of both?

I've taken a stab at how I would route sleeves around my pool (see below...light green pipes with yellow and purple wires in them routed to various pool lights, landscaping areas and speakers), but again, is there some trick they use (other than fish tape) to actually fish the wire from point A to point B? One of the more difficult runs would be from my controller (bottom right, purple box) to the pool light between the 2 benches on the far left (by R4). Another one would be from the left corner of my "Residence" to the far right speaker.

I understand the concept of using sleeves. I know they protect the wires and make it easier to route/repair wires and fixtures post-build. However, I just can't understand HOW (especially with my configuration) all these wires will make it from point A to point B. All thoughts are welcome!

Hi,
The pool light cable is required to be in a PVC conduit.
There is usually a junction box located near the pool edge, and the cable from teh light fixture goes to the J-Box. (I think the J Box is actually required by code, but don't quote me on that). Then the power cable goes from that J-Box to the Light Switch or controller.

Landscape wires are almost always direct burial in the ground and installed along with landscaping after the pool and deck are finished.
They are not required to be in a conduit.

Not so sure about Speaker Wires, but maybe someone else will chime in on that.

Sweep in / sweep out. Usually junction boxes need to be accessible. Using sweeps, the fixture box can serve as your pull point, daisy changing fixtures can be accomplished this way or by making your junction boxes large enough to be "hand holes". An electrician should be included in the job. Electrical around a pool isn't really a good DIY project.

pull string through as you assemble each piece of the plastic conduit. every termination of the conduit, leave a couple of feet of string sticking out.

just make sure you label each string at the source as to where it leads. when it comes time to pull cables just tie and tape them to the string at either end and pull from the other.

The PVC conduit my builder used is grey and is quite flexible. You don't need junctions or joints to bend them around the pool. They come in 10' lengths and they use a 90 degree sweep as mentioned above when they go into the equipment controller and also at the lights. Other than that they bend them around the pool and trenches as needed without using elbows etc...

this stuff, and its very cheap...

PVC - Conduit - Electrical Boxes, Conduit The Home Depot

79c4f8e2-6b5e-4a8f-beaa-174d0ee13ec7_400.jpg

forgot to mention, you'll need a fish tape...

Klein Tools 25 ft. Depthfinder Steel Fish Tape-56005 - The Home Depot

All electrical has to be run through grey pvc as stated. The 90 degree turns are bent in arch to allow fishing of wire throug them. Good way to clean it up is to run LED low voltage pool lights to a transformer at one area of pool and then to panel from there. Only downside to this si that they will all be controlled by that transformer and will turn on together. But do not be get alarmed about the amount of pipes. I had hundred of feet run for mine and also had some run to sunken ramada and to my fireplace. LOL. May as well plan out your yard now and run what you need to where ever you need on your yard. They can all be connected to your pool panel. Landscaping is run direct burial and is done after pool and landscaping are done. Only needs to be like a foot under and you can also run those to your panel on pool and power them from there and control them if you get a smart panel system. Speaker wires and cabel wire should be run through pvc also. Just run them or lay them out when they trench your pool plumbing.

Based on past frustrating experiences, I put wire in the conduit when the conduit was being put in. Either the final wire if I had it, or a pull wire. A good fish tape can always be pushed through, but it can be time-consuming. For the pull wire, I just bought some landscape lighting wire which will likely get used in the future anyway (plus it's pretty inexpensive wire anyway). If any are too hard to pull, get some wire lubricant.

You run electrical with electrical conduit grey you use the correct PVC (the without a primer one) grey wording. I would use 3/4 for electrical wire. You run three 12Guage wires typically white/green/black. I ran GFCIs like this, bought 4x4 posts and put in the ground myself. I also bought sub panels. You need to in Texas put that 18" below. I also pre bought an outdoor sub panel. I had the electricians hook up everything for 180.00. I thought this was a great deal.

I ran speaker wires to six different places using 3/4 non schedule 40. I should have used schedule 40 looking back because I had pipes break from a bob cat.

I run 2" sleeves for landscape wiring etc where I needed to e.g. planters. This is also where I would bring drip irrigation. Its not that hard.

How are wires (i.e. wiring for pool lights, landscaping, speakers, etc.) typically routed around the pool during construction? I've heard some builders mention using "sleeves" (2" PVC pipe), which kind of makes sense, but with my design, the sleeves would have too many (I think) turns and tees, which would make it almost impossible to fish wires where they need to go. Or do they just lay the wires directly in the trenches or a combination of both?

I've taken a stab at how I would route sleeves around my pool (see below...light green pipes with yellow and purple wires in them routed to various pool lights, landscaping areas and speakers), but again, is there some trick they use (other than fish tape) to actually fish the wire from point A to point B? One of the more difficult runs would be from my controller (bottom right, purple box) to the pool light between the 2 benches on the far left (by R4). Another one would be from the left corner of my "Residence" to the far right speaker.

I understand the concept of using sleeves. I know they protect the wires and make it easier to route/repair wires and fixtures post-build. However, I just can't understand HOW (especially with my configuration) all these wires will make it from point A to point B. All thoughts are welcome!

A trick I use for speaker wire inside PVC/smurf tubing/conduit is to tie 20lb fishing line to a plastic Baggie, use a wet/vac on other end and it will suck the bag through with line in tow.

Now you can tie line to speaker wire and easily pull through around bends with ease.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First lets talk light placement. You generally do not want the lights at the long ends of the pool. Swimming laps at night becomes a lousy experience. They should be on the side of the pool facing away from the seating area.

Second, All wiring for a pool must be in conduit. Use 3/4 inch minimum usually because pool lights have cords that have to be run through the conduit. The flexible stuff is fine just make sure its electrical conduit not pvc pipe. Generally its required to be buried 18 inches under the surface.

From you questions I strongly suggest you hire an experienced pool electrician to do the work. Pools are not normal electrical installations and the rules that apply elsewhere do not apply to pools.

Landscape lighting, irrigation electrical, or regular lights cannot be within 5 feet of the inside wall of the pool. A strict interpretation of the code prohibits even conduit within five feet except for conduit serving the pool lights. There is an exception allowing low voltage lighting serviced by a listed pool transformer to be within five feet of the pool. But that is in the 2014 version of the code which has been adopted in just a few jurisdictions. You cannot use direct burial cable to service a pool.

Sleeves are not conduit. Sleeves are used to create a pathway for conduit or other utilities. Sleeves allow you to run later irrigation lines or other utilities under a walkway or through a wall without demolishing the wall or walkway.

Many pools have electrical devices or lights added post construction that do not comply with the code.

A couple of things to address here...

ALL junction boxes MUST be accessible. This is a code issue and also it is nice for the guy following you to be able to find a bad connection someday.

When running conduit it is real tempting to slide the wire thru as you go. However, the PVC cement can drip down inside the conduit and it WILL damage the insulation on the wires.

When running low voltage/speaker wire it has to be in it's own conduit. It can not and should not be run in with high voltage wiring. The reason for this is most low volt landscape wire and all speaker wire is not rated for voltage above 50 volts even though the idiot who did some remodel work in my brothers house years ago did not think this would be a problem.

When running power around or in the vicinity of the pool all ground wires need to be insulated even when inside conduit. But, since all pool wiring needs to be in conduit I guess that last statement is kind of redundant.

Thanks everyone for the info and advice. To be clear, I do not plan to route wires (or do any of this work). I finally settled on a builder today in fact. Just trying to learn as much as I can to keep both of us in check and also to maybe learn a few tricks that others have used that my PB may not be aware of.

Regarding the light placement, that's a good point. I don't plan on really swimming laps at night, but I was thinking that by putting them at the ends I would get better coverage based on beam angles. I'm definitely trying to NOT point them at the house, which is nearest the tanning ledge. Perhaps I could move the ones on the ends more towards the tanning ledge so that they're aimed at the waterfall more. Would I still get good coverage throughout? Other thoughts?

The one on the right should be about under the skimmer. The one on the left should be about halfway down the swimout. But you can't put a light there so I would suggest interrupting the swimout . I don't think your light in the middle of your sunshelf will be approved either because it can't be serviced without entering the pool. But that is my interpretation of the code. NEC 680.23(B)(6)

You pool builder can make some suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.