New Here and In Need Of Owner Build Advice

sheree202

Gold Supporter
Jan 15, 2016
Lawrenceville, GA
I live NE of Atlanta and I'm trying to get started with an owner build pool. I'm wondering what is the best way to get good pool plans? Also, I'm usually a great researcher by nature, but I've been having a hard time finding pool subs for quotes in my area. This forum is a wealth of information and I'm so excited to have found it. I've had many people try to talk me out of pool construction without a pool contractor, but I'm sure this is the way I want to go.

I am hoping to break ground in March, but I'm nervous about the stand still I'm at already trying to find subs. I welcome any advice you have and look forward to posting pictures of my progress soon!! Thanks!

Good for you for considering an owner build! That's the path we've taken, and so far it's been going well. A little nerve wracking, but we know we are saving money and getting the quality we want, so it's worth it.

As for finding subs, one way to start is to look up gunite companies, because they are generally listed in the yellow pages or on the internet. Then everyone will start giving you names of subs in the different trades and you can go from there. Whenever you talk to someone, just ask if they have any recommendations for you. Of course you'll still have to do your homework on the names you get, but that gets the ball rolling nicely.

Good luck and keep us posted! How exciting for your family!

Hi Sheree,
welcome to TFP!

Before you go getting quotes from subs, you need to have your pool designed, and be able to show those to the subs.

Start with hunting for Swimming Pool Architects or Swimming Pool Design or Swiming Pool Plan online or in the yellow pages.
The pool designer should provide all of the building plans and they should contain enough detial for you to be able to obtain building permits with them.
The architect will likely be able to recommend you some subs too. (providing your designer is in the ATL area).

Most of the subs know each other, so once you find the first one, the rest should be easy.

Good Luck on your project!

Thanks, Kim! It's getting real and I'm so excited. I'm glad to have found this forum - I've already learned so much from other people's threads. And I'm looking forward to getting everyone's opinions here. I'll post pool plans as soon as I get them :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Absolutely.
Many PB's more often than not, will hire a pool designer (engineer) to design the pool, then hire the subs to work from teh pool designers building plans.
Gunite swimming pools are engineered to withstand the forces of being full of water and not burst. Your building permit folks will require structural designs to review before they will approve a building permit.

google up 'pool engineering plans' or "swimming pool designers" or something of the sort and you will get lots of hits. Might help you become a bit familiar with the design process before you contact anyone.

Speaking of permits, some advice. When you start soliciting the electrical work, and plumbing, etc, ask your subs to also include the building permit in their quote. They do it all the time and know the ropes of getting them. For sure, there will be an electrical permit required, and if any of your pool plumbing will be tied into the city sewer, there will be a permit for that too. Depending on your particular municipality (it varies from town to town), you may require a plumbing permit whether its tied into the city sewer or not. The plumbers will know that though.

Hi Dave, thanks for the welcome and great advice. Are there typically local pool designers that aren't pool contractors too?

Hi, Nini! Your pool sounds AMAZING! I could get myself in trouble on this forum - every day I see more things that I'd like to add to my plan haha! Here is my before picture.

View attachment 44640

For sure! The longer you wait, the more you look, the more EXPENSIVE the build becomes, lol!

What a great yard for your pool. Looks like you will have a happy kiddo. Does you dog like to swim? He/she is gorgeous!

I decided to work with pooleng.com to design my engineering plans. They encouraged me to draw up my plans by hand and emailed me examples. Mine is still a work in progress, but should be done this weekend. Has anyone else done this or does anyone have any improvements I should make? Thanks!!
IMG_20160121_131611.jpg

Nini, Our dog is an English Retriever so we're hoping she'll swim too!! :)

I love the shape, esp the ends & the corners. My deep end is roman shaped and we put a bench in there. It's perfect to sit and watch the kids swim, you have a straight view of the pool the whole time. I also put a ledge that's about 10 - 12 inches wide so people can stand on it. We get so much use out of the deeper end because of this. We also have two returns in the bench so when the pool heater is on it can be nice to sit in front of to warm up. My yard is also sloped. Do you plan on needing to dig into it or will the pool fit on the level part?

Welcome to the O/B world. Keep at it and you will learn some great stuff off of this site. I met an awesome guy that just did his pool that lived right by me off here. Has been a ton of help. One thing I did learn is call excavating company for bid and ask for other subs they use. Then do with another excavator and so on. Then ask the plumber and he will give you names and ask the next plumber for a list. You will get a great list together in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.