Semmes, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
New to pool ownership. Just bough a home with an inground pool. The water has been cloudy since we moved in about 30 days ago. The previous owner added three tabs twice per week regularly. I measured the PH and Chlorine using the kit left by the previous owners and the PH was 6.8 and chlorine off the charts. I have been running the filter about 6 hrs per day and have stopped adding chlorine tabs due to the high chlorine level in hopes it would migate in the downward direction. I have been brushing and vaccuuming the pool weekly which seems to add to the cloudiness.
I found th Chlorox pool app and began following their advice but after 2 days I really began questioning the accuracy of that whole system.
I am a research junkie and came across this site. The approach here makes perfect sense to me. As a result I ordered the TF100 test kit which arrived this morning. I tested my water at got the following results. Now I need help so I know where to go from here.

FC - 8.5
CC - 2
TA - 140
CYA - 100+ I filled the tube less than 1/2 way to the bottom mark before I could no longer see the black dot at all
PH - 7.2

I do not have a heater and the pool is not currently in use but I wan to get it straightened out and stabilized before the warmer weater arrives in a couple of months.

Not sure wher to go from here and would certainly appreciate any help to get me headed in the right direction

Attachments

• IMG_1405[1].jpg
    IMG_1405[1].jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 90
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like your CYA could be much higher than the 100 you report. You found the right site and ordered the right kit. CONGRATS! I'd personally drain it halfway down, refill and retest. Those trichlor tabs are the source of your high CYA.

While you are draining it go looking for your best source of chlorine or bleach. Some pool stores will have liquid chlorine at 11% and use refillable jugs you put a deposit down on. I use my local Ace Hardware for chlorine. Some people find Walmart's Greater Value bleach (plain, unscented) their best buy. It comes in at 8.25%.

If you go the with bleach make sure it has a current date code (no more than 3 months old) AND has the % listed.

I LOVE your pool area! SO pretty! You are going to love having a pool once we get it clear!

Kim

Thanks guys. Based on the pool calculator, I was expecting the need to drain some water to lower the CYA & CH. wondering if I should completely drain. Do a thorough cleaning & inspection before I start over. Figure if I need to drain 50 - 75% might as well go all the way. Opinion ions on this thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Always reluctant to suggest a complete drain. If you live in the desert....no problem. If you live in a swamp, your pool may pop out of the ground.

A 75% drain is pretty darn safe and will get you close to where you need to be. If not, refill up to a point and drain back down again.

Water is surprisingly cheap and that drain will get your pool manageable very quickly.

You will also need to SLAM (Pool School) but it is pointless to do that until your CYA comes down.

Your pool is pretty cloudy now. The clarity you will get after the SLAM will be amazing.

Welcome to the forum kfpool :wave: Really nice layout.

I agree, especially being in Florida I wouldn't drain it all the way. 75% would be safe, refill and then test your CYA again to see where you are at.

Thanks guys! Looks like I will be draining about 75% this week, refilling, & slamming next weekend. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.