Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Blanket Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Blanket Question

Due to a fountain, I do not really have a place for a solar cover reel without it majorly being in the way. How much of the pool has to be covered to benefit from a solar blanket? The reason I ask is because I'm considering buying a large blanket and cutting it into sections or buying several small blankets, just to make it easier to remove without a reel.

I've considered an automatic reel, but for the cost + cost for electric hookup and cover I'm not sure it is worth the money since I've never used a solar cover before. Thanks for your input!

Sent using Tapatalk
    ~ 18.5' x 36.5' inground Grecian pool with vinyl liner
    ~ approximately 23,000 gallons
    ~ AquaRite Salt Water Generator cell size t-9
    ~ 1.5 HP Hayward Pump and Hayward Sand Filter
    ~ TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Blanket Question

How much of the pool has to be covered to benefit from a solar blanket?
    It should be approximately proportional to the area covered. So if you cut your heat loss by 50% with 100% coverage, 50% coverage would cut your heat loss by 25%.

I didn't have a good way to use a reel so I went this route: DIY Solar Cover Roller
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    It should be approximately proportional to the area covered. So if you cut your heat loss by 50% with 100% coverage, 50% coverage would cut your heat loss by 25%.

I didn't have a good way to use a reel so I went this route: DIY Solar Cover Roller
    Thank you!!

Sent using Tapatalk
    ~ 18.5' x 36.5' inground Grecian pool with vinyl liner
    ~ approximately 23,000 gallons
    ~ AquaRite Salt Water Generator cell size t-9
    ~ 1.5 HP Hayward Pump and Hayward Sand Filter
    ~ TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Not exact... But our pool cover was cut into two pieces by my wife because she couldn't put it on when it was one cover. After her scissor work the cover only covered about 75 - 80 % of the pool. We had no trouble getting our pool to 95 degrees during the hotter parts of the summer.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir