Long slam done but water still cloudy Help?

May 16, 2015
Pt St Lucie, FL
Pool swamped under thermal cover (clear bubble wrap type) after a couple months neglect in FL. Started slam 2wks ago. After no cl loss overnight and 0 to trace cc for days stopped cl 2 days ago. Water blue but very cloudy still. Brushed waterline and only part of bottom because I'm short and can't properly work over the sides and too cold to get in.. Running aquabug over 50% of time with filter cartridge replaced and pump running on high 24/7. Here are current numbers:
Temp 64
FC 8
CC < 0.5 (almost imperceptible pinkish cast to none)
CYA 30
pH 7.5
CH 25
TA 60
Got new winter cover and want to cover and maintain till spring warm up, not close.
What should I do? I work a lot but have 3day wkend now.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Cat

Attachments

• 20160116_093233.jpg
    20160116_093233.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 20160116_093201.jpg
    20160116_093201.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 86
The hard part is waiting for the pool to clear up. It's a matter of time. Brushing it often helps get the stuff off the bottom and into the filter. Can you use a short step stool to get more reach ??
Do you wait for the pressure to rise before cleaning the filter ??
You need to make sure you get out there every couple days and test so you don't drop too low and go green again. With a cover and being in the low 60's you shouldn't lose FC that fast but keep track of how much you're adding, how often so you don't get in trouble going too long.

Thanks! Well I went and got a big extendable pole and cheap brush vacuum end. Sitting on the ladder reached almost entire bottom and brushed under vacuum. I'll hit the missed edge next using a stepladder - great suggestion! I've been keeping the filter clean -should I wait for pressure rise? Would make sense I guess to let accumulate to trap smaller? I've not yet covered it - thought it would be best to fully clear first? Also I went ahead and bumped it back up to shock level to handle anything I may have stirred up or exposed. I'll brush/vacuum each day this long weekend. During the wk I'm not home in the daylight right now. Anything else I can do this wkend -would there be an advantage to brushing more these 3days? Also does it help to pull water from bottom with aquabug or have higher flow with skimmer on all or half and half? Sorry sooo many questions :)

You always want the pressure to rise 20-25% BEFORE you clean. Having too clean a filter will defeat the purpose and just waste your time and energy. A slightly dirty filter actually filters better as the dirt plugs the filter medium up a bit and makes it harder for the smaller stuff to get through !!
Here is the article on it in "Pool School". - - > Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
There is always the option of adding a little pool DE to the filter to purposely plug it up a bit but that's an option. I do it regularly to my sand filter as I do think it cleans better but again, it's optional and in your case I think it's just going to take a little time. You can search and see a lot of folks SLAM and then are driven crazy because the pool is still cloudy. You're not alone by any means.

It's going to take time. The rule is you're not done with the SLAM until the pool is clear but in your case I've seen it so many times that the "stuff" you're seeing is the dead algae and it might be 4-5 days or a week or two until the water fully clears up. If it was my pool, since the CC is less than .5 I'd gamble all the algae is dead. I'd let the FC come down and once at the lower maintenance level cover it to keep it clean.
If you can vacuum and them brush you get the best of both. Brushing is good and as much of it as you can do while you're trying to clear it up. The more it's mixed up the better for getting it filtered and brushing is always a great idea (once daily) even after the water clears.

I would pull the steps and check the bottom of the rungs just to make sure nothing is hiding there and a good look in the skimmer just to make sure.Stairs, lights and skimmers have killed many a good SLAM as something managed to survive there ;)

The completion of the SLAM is...
1. Your pool water is sparkling and there is no visible algae (dead or alive)
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

So by definition, you never completed the SLAM. In theory, you should go back to the process of running your pump 24/7 and brushing and vacuuming until your pool is crystal.

I wouldn't do that however. I would keep running the pump 24/7 and keep the FC higher than normal but not at SLAM value.....maybe twice suggested levels. (8 ppm is about right) You water color indicates the vast, vast majority of your work remains in filtration and cleaning, not in chlorination.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.