Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new polaris booster pump or robot?

1. Back To Top    #1

new polaris booster pump or robot?

Hi Guys, the title says it all really. The booster pump motor (ao smith 3/4 hp motor) has stopped working. We thought it was probably the bearings but after trying to repair it, the screws sheared off and we were unable to remove them where they had rusted into the casing.

$200ish for a new motor. Or sell the perfectly good polaris 280 head and hosing (?$200) and buy a robot? Maybe a nautilus dolphin? Thoughts?
    26,390 gallons IG, Centex plaster, Hayward DE 4820 filter, Century Centurion B2859 pool pump motor.
    Booster pump for polaris 280
    Built 1997

2. Back To Top    #2

Riverside California

Re: new polaris booster pump or robot?

I just bought my first robot after many years using different types of cleaners and I could not be happier. I should have made the switch years ago. Go robot and don't look back!
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: new polaris booster pump or robot?

I junked my Letro Legend 2 and bought a Polaris 9550. I like it alot. The LA2 never cleaned the entire pool and lost suction after 3 years. I replaced several key parts on it before giving up. The robot does an excellent job and I hope it will last at least 5 years. I bought this model because of the large size of the debris box, I get a lot of leaves. The 9550 has been flawless. Doesn't turtle or get stuck on drains or tangle the cord like some have reported.