Dallas Suburb...can someone given me the 411 on owner/builder pool?

ladylonghorn

Jan 14, 2016
Frisco, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have gotten quotes from 5 companies, all about in the same range for a pool/spa in our smallish back yard (55-59K is where all the quotes have come in). This includes a 85-90 perimeter pool going from 3.5 to 6 feet deep, not sure of size of the spa, but it's a 6 person size, with about 400 sq feet of decking, LED lights, a small rock water feature and sunbathing ledge as the first step into the pool. All the builders are considered upper middle, higher end builders. I've just stumbled upon this sight and I'm reading all these posts about owner builder pool and am wondering if that is a better option to get the pool we want at a better cost. The 2 challenges to the yard is there is a slop downward away from the house (builder has said at our alley garage in the back is level 0 and where our fence line is it's -20. Secondly, we have an existing stamped concrete patio that is 450 square feet in the yard. Some builders are suggesting tearing out and replacing, others are suggesting a transition like flagstone and then pouring new decking. The existing patio was an add on and is about 8 years old. It does have some hairline cracks, which is very common given the N. Texas soil.

Hubby thinks I always take to long to make decisions and we got a couple of pool quotes a year ago and then decided we weren't sure if we were staying in the house. We've since firmly decided to stay so he is wanting to move quickly in making a decision on a pool, however now that I've heard this owner/builder pool....should we look into that instead?????? Please chime in.

I'm a big fan of O/B. I saved a lot of money AND got better equipment and an upgraded pool. Generally the guys actually doing the work on your pool are the same guys these three builders would use so quality of work will be the same. Should be able to find a couple O/B in your area who would be happy to share their sub lists with you.

Probably the hardest part of my project was getting the bids together. Sure we had some bumps along the way but read the posts here, there are bumps in the road with pool companies as well. Have you read the threads where the pool company installed the wrong plaster oops.

If you can't find some local to you I'd be happy to speak with you about my experience and suggestions. Just shoot me a PM if you want to chat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.