Hayward pump running dry impact

Apr 2, 2007
Hi, I have a hayward max flo pump for my inground pool. I am curious as to what would happen if for whatever reason the pump ran dry and nobody was around to turn the pump off. All comments are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

The water in the pump will heat up. The heat will convert to steam. Excessive heat will result in components melting down. First the Pump basket. Then either the pump pot (where the basket is) and or impeller. Next, the PVC plumbing to the inlet of the pump.
But that's all.
Oh, wait, the motor will shut down after a while (usually after the damage is done), due to a high temperature cut off in the motor, so you may think the motor is bad. Let it cool back down by leaving it off for a few hours.

But that's the worst that can happen.

I know that a lot of the pumps have a high temp safety shut off. You let them cool off and they work again. Mine shut off once on a day when it had gotten over 100 deg F outside, that was before the unit was covered/protected from the sun.

hmmmmm, TMQ...not sure how to take that one.... smart alec? me? :goodjob:

lol

As Mom said, motors will typically have a high limit temperature cut off sensor that shuts down the motor if it overheats. Unfortunately, the temps in the pump pot will be much higher than the motor (as the motor has an internal fan to help it run cooler). That's why you get the damage in the pump before the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.