Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backflush valve leaking water and air...

1. Back To Top    #1

San Diego, CA

Backflush valve leaking water and air...

My backflush valve leaks now and was thinking of trying to fix it our cut it out and not have one, as I do not back flush anymore. This is with a de filter. Also I really hate cleaning the de filter (8 blades) as it is a bioch to clean and put back together without the seal at the split leaking water. The filter is probably 20 years old as we have had it for 13 years. I was recommended a cartridge filter but not sure about the algae problem. I do get green algae in the summer that I have to brush off the sides of the pool that get max sunlight on them. Does a cartridge filter add more algae issues?
    AG plaster pool about 20k gallons kidney shaped, Nautilus FNS filter DE (runs at 22psi), Raypak RP2100 gas heater for spa, magnetek pool/spa motor 2hp, magnetek waterfall pump 1/2 hp and Hayward Pool Vac.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backflush valve leaking water and air...

The type of filter does not cause algae problems. You need to keep the chlorine levels correct and you won't have alge problems.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Backflush valve leaking water and air...

If you are not happy with the maintenance of a DE filter, consider sand. It is the easiest to maintain but NO TYPE OF FILTER will get rid of algae.....Proper chlorine does that as WASP says above.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School