how many cups of calcium chloride (hardness up) equals 1 pound?

No need to be exact. Just estimate the amount based on the container weight and amount. In other words, figure out the percentage and guestimate from there.

Calcium chloride won't chemically raise the ph. However, I have seen some ph rise in some cases, which I suspect might be due to carbon dioxide offgassing as the chemical is added. Possibly due to the creation of nucleation sites, which is how the coke and mentos reaction happens. Note that this is just speculation.

Ph is still 7.7 from yesterday, so the little bit of calcium chloride i put in didn't affect pH. i put 5 more pounds in this morning.

the extended test kit directions section of this site (http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions)
doesn't mention anything about water temperature when performing the CH test. does the water sample need to be warmed up before performing CH test?

chem geek, in another thread, has probably already answered my question:

[h=2](from 3/5/09): Re: Effect of Temperature on Calcium Hardness Reading[/h]
I E-mailed Taylor about this and they said that you should not be using the Calcium Hardness test (or any other test) above 100F. The tests are designed and calibrated for room temperature. Richard​

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.