Pool Automation: Hayward, PENTAIR, or Other?

Jun 30, 2015
Terry, MS
I have already decided to convert my pool to salt water this spring but am now also looking at the possibility of pairing the SWG with an automation/control system. I see that both PENTAIR and Hayward produce an "all in one" control system but haven't been able to find a lot of reviews on either of the systems. Does anyone have any input/advice on which system is more reliable, cost effective, etc?

Also while I am on the topic is it worth the money to include chemical control or are the pH and alkalinity easy enough to manage once converting to SW?

I have a Pentair Easy Touch automation system, along with the Pentair Screen Logic so I can control everything from my PC or phone and I love it! I recently had my Screen Logic adapter go bad, and after talking to Pentair, they send me a new one the same day, no charge. The day after, I was back up and running. As far as I am concerned, Pentair has good customer service. Can't comment on Hayward because I do not have any of their equipment.

From what I have read on these forums, PH automation is problematic. For acid injection I would recommend using a Stenner pump. I use a Stenner pump for chlorine injection and it works great.

It's pretty much a Ford/Chevy argument but I like Pentair.. And others say that Jandy is more the Cadillac. Then for heaters, it's Raypak(Rheem) then Pentair. If you are considering one these consistently bring the best reviews. Prices for comparable equipment will be pretty similar and competitive. Opinions will vary on some of this, just like cars and trucks.

Advice on an SWG - get the BIGGEST one you can. So for Pentair, that's an IC60.

My opinion on chemical automation is this - don't bother. Stay away from ORP chlorine control as it is highly problematic and acid injection is a "nice to have" kind of thing but really not necessary. Remember, the more probes, pumps, canisters, etc., you add to your pool pad, the more things to break and need fixing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

People tend to like what they have, so I like Pentair. But, whatever you buy, you need to make sure that all the parts play nice together. It makes sense to me, that the SWG, the Controller, and a VS pump should all be able to talk with one another. I've seen several posts where people have bought components from different manufacturers and then can't understand why they can't control them they way they want.

Jim R.

Thanks guys, right now I am leaning towards the Pentair EasyTouch 4 function 40k gallon unit (Model# 520593). Is this the correct size system for my pool or will I only need the 20K gallon system?

I would go with the Easy Touch 8 instead of the Easy Touch 4. As you get into automation, you will think of even more things you want to automate such as landscape lighting, etc. For each of these things, you will need another relay. Four is just too limiting.

As a follow on to Gary300's input... An EasyTouch 4 is actually only an EasyTouch 3 as one of the 4 relays is dedicated as the Pump/Filter circuit. That only gives you three Aux relays. One for your pool lights, one for landscape lighting, and one for a pad light.. I have a pretty simple pool, so three is enough for me. I do recommend the Screen Logic, which allows control of your pool from your PC or Phone. I received one for Christmas and I love it....

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.