Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memphis area build

1. Back To Top    #1

Memphis area build

We are starting on a near total backyard makeover. To give a little history, the original fiberglass pool and decking was installed in 1984. We have decided to remove it and have a shotcrete pool installed. Prior to the pool demo we had a cedar post and beam patio covering built. I will include pictures of the progress so far and hope to post many more to document the process. The patio originally had an arbor made from treated pine that had been in placed for about 25 years. It lasted beyond it's expected time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Germantown, TN
    17' x 35' fiberglass inground 25k gal Catalina pool, Haward pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Memphis area build

Hey, welcome to TFP!

This will be one many members will love to see take place. Glad you joined us to share your build. Renos are always a lot of fun to see.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Memphis area build

A few more pictures.
    Germantown, TN

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll post more as time allows.

Germantown, TN

5. Back To Top    #5

Beautiful!
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is the completed result. Light fixture was hung today. The only thing left is s flagstone floor which will be done when the pool coping is done. I'll start posting pictures of the demolition process of the fiberglass pool, decking, and remaining patio.

Germantown, TN

7. Back To Top    #7

I love the wood! Will you stain it or leave it as is? I can imagine it looking great either way, especially on the ceiling.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks JamieP. It's all cedar including the tongue and groove ceiling. It has a coat of oil based sealer on it. Basically a clear satin. I like the natural cedar color and didn't want to go darker with it. The light was installed today and I couldn't be more pleased. My wife chose it and I think it looks great. The ceiling really lights up and reflects the light back down to the floor.
    Germantown, TN

9. Back To Top    #9

How PRETTY! THANKS for sharing! I can't wait to see the rest!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Very nice, very cool fixture.

11. Back To Top    #11

All the old concrete pool decking and patio have been removed. Hoping to see the fiberglass shell get taken out tomorrow.

Germantown, TN

12. Back To Top    #12

Well done! I bet your neighbors are hating your about now LOL

How many trucks did it take to get all of the old stuff out? How did they get it out??

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Kimkats, they used a small track hoe, skid steer (Bobcat front end loader), and a few guys with sledge hammers. Loaded all in a dump truck. 7 or 8 dump truck loads of concrete hauled off. Appeared to average around 4"-6" thick. Also a 30" tall 50' long brick wall was removed. Glad to see my concrete jungle go away! Fortunately the concrete and bricks are taken to a local road construction company that will crush it to reuse as road bed material. No charge to dump the concrete there.

Germantown, TN

14. Back To Top    #14

This is the demolition equipment.

Germantown, TN

15. Back To Top    #15

You cedar patio is absolutely amazing. Love the expose beams and ceiling. The light fixture really pulls it together. Will your contractor be installing decorative tie straps? It would really pull it all together. I used Simpson Strong tie decorative straps on my patio.

Freeform /620 Surface/110 perimeter/20k gal/ Raised bond beam/Baja shelf (2)//Pentair- Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp// Easytouch, C&C 520 Cartridge, Intellichlor SWCG// A&A- Magnasweep in-floor, LeafVac, Venturi Skimmer,// Mini-pebble (Aqua Blue w abalone shell)//4 Pentair Globrite LEDs//3 sheer descents//Travertine coping and decking.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by azjoshers79 View Post
    You cedar patio is absolutely amazing. Love the expose beams and ceiling. The light fixture really pulls it together. Will your contractor be installing decorative tie straps? It would really pull it all together. I used Simpson Strong tie decorative straps on my patio.
    I echo azjoshers compliments! But as an aside, what are decorative tie straps?

17. Back To Top    #17

Freeform /620 Surface/110 perimeter/20k gal/ Raised bond beam/Baja shelf (2)//Pentair- Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp// Easytouch, C&C 520 Cartridge, Intellichlor SWCG// A&A- Magnasweep in-floor, LeafVac, Venturi Skimmer,// Mini-pebble (Aqua Blue w abalone shell)//4 Pentair Globrite LEDs//3 sheer descents//Travertine coping and decking.

18. Back To Top    #18

Good bye fiberglass shell.

https://vimeo.com/151923304

Germantown, TN

19. Back To Top    #19

That is a LOT of trips for the skid steer! WOW! SO nice you do not have to pay to have it dumped!

Kim

20. Back To Top    #20

A tiny oasis of order amid the complete destruction of your yard -- you have a a clear advantage here!
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast