Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does this finish look normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does this finish look normal?

Hello,

We've just completed a pool refinishing, and the resulting surface looks uneven in quite a few places. I do not recall the original finish being this way.

I'm attaching a few images (more in a follow up post) -- does this look normal to your eye?

Thanks!

DSC_5093.jpgDSC_5095.jpgDSC_5096.jpgDSC_5097.jpgDSC_5098.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does this finish look normal?

I don't know if it's normal or not, but I do know that lights on at night will show any tiny imperfection in surface texture. Hopefully someone else will give a more experienced opinion.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I would say they are not the best crew. Finish on the steps look good, wall guy did ok, floor guy gets a D.
    Once it is filled, during a sunny day will you notice it, probably not.
    All they could do now is diamond polish it to smooth the surface, but not sure they will.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum!

Being honest, it isn't the best by any means, but it isn't the worst we've ever seen. Mine is less than perfect, so I sympathize with you, and understand the disappointment. You don't have many options unless you still owe the builder a lot unfortunately. If so, he might agree to re-do it, but it would be excpetionally unusual if he did. Perhaps you can negotiate down on the final installment to a point that would make things more satisfactory for you. It's likely just cosmetic, so not the worst thing, but I know it stings. Sorry you're coming here for this, but I hope you'll stick around and enjoy our forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I think it's well within the normal range of smoothness.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you guys -- I only have the original finish to compare to and it was *much* smoother. The builder was prompt to collect the day after pool was filled, so not too many options here (could go through a credit card dispute, but if you say it's within range of normal, probably won't help much). My main concern is that it'd make keeping the surface clean harder, with all the additional "creases". Even now, while the builder is still maintaining the pool, there are discernible patterns, which look more like color variations during the day, and only visible as surface blemishes at night. I could accept the larger lines (such as visible in the first photo below), but the "drip" pattern by the step just looks dirty.

DSC_5102.jpgDSC_5104.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

Pool lights on at night will magnify EVERY little wave, dip, and bump. I have seen this on my friend's pools, I expect something similar on mine. I am going to have a very long conversation with the plaster sub prior to it being done. It's a hand applied process, it will be flat but it's not going to be perfect. I have yet to see a pool that can pass the perfect test at night with the lights on.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

You should see the bottom of my above ground pool. There was two guys working in the hot, summer sun smoothing and working the dirt to get it as smooth as smooth could be! It looked AWESOME! They put the liner in with MUCH care so as to not mess up the bottom.
    We added water carefully letting it just flow in so as to keep the bottom smooth.

Well once it was full it looked great! Then night time came and the light was on............we could see every little thing. It was not bad and I was still happy as I SAW how hard they worked to get it smooth. It did look smooth in the daylight. It is just with the light at night time you can see the little dips and such.

SO it will be FUN to swim in and NO one else will notice it I promise you as they enjoy your pool with you!

Here is a link for you. Just know the PB holds the warranty card but it might help you care for your new plaster.

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit