Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Travertine Stone and calcium removal

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

Travertine Stone and calcium removal

Hello to all,

While under construction of our pool, we went thru various problems w the pool builder on issues where our travertine coping was damaged. Well, this is a travertine stone and Calcium issue that I resolved.

The waterline for the pool and spa is a 6" travertine stone. When the normal water-line of the spa that also is a spillover into pool went 2-3" below it's full spillover level, I noticed a solid white line after the stone dried. This is a calcium line where the water stays all the time.

So, since I cannot use acid or other abrasive chemicals, I bought some 3M P220 wet/dry sandpaper and after wetting the stone, I was able to sand away the calcium line. I then wiped it well w a wet cotton cloth, then wiped it w a dry cotton cloth - both times w good pressure.

I let the sun dry all the tiles [approximately 25.5 ft] and then applied the Aqua Mix's Enrich & Seal and the stone was enhanced w a little deeper color, but looked great. I did that Monday, then applied another coat today and will let it dry/cure until Wed evening, then turn on the main pump and get her flowing again. Right now I am circulating the water in the pool w two scuppers & scupper pump. The FC was about 8-9 and pH around 7.3 before I started all this, so I should be good w out any major circulation in the spa.

The next thing I will handle in a week or two is the tile/travertine that involves the spillover side...that's going to be a lot of wet-sanding, but the sealer I am using, and adding two coats, will last 3-5 yrs. I'll keep you posted - tstex
    15K gal 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' Spa, tanning shelf, IG, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine Coping/Decking, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, Aqua-Logic PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, Covered SummerKitchen, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

2. Back To Top    #2

Houston tx

Re: Travertine Stone and calcium removal

Do you have any before and after pictures?
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tallahassee, FL

This will be interesting to see/follow in the long run!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Amelia Island, FL

I'm a little skeptical of the 3-5 years estimate for sealant on waterline travertine in a SWG environment. I would think the amount of continuous exposure would shorten the effectiveness more significantly.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Scottsdale, AZ

For anyone watching, Travertine is not a great product for in water use. I is like a sponge and saturates. It is also very susceptible to chemicals. If it is salt, even worse idea.

Tstx: You can have issues sealing the front of that tile. Water will still soak into and behind the sealer. This can make a mess. Only time will tell now.
    A wet stone polisher works way better then the wet dry paper. Pads are cheap, big thing is the slower speeds they work at. Takes more off quicker.
    You can pick up a cheap one for $150.00