Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!

Quick question... The plumber is out to measure for the length of pipe we need, and is telling me the pad will be 4'6"x30". Is this big enough? I don't want to go too small, but I don't have anything to go by. My equipment is in my original post. Thanks!

That seems small, but your equipment isn't that big. My guys just told me to do 3x9 for my equipment, but I have a big sand filter and a big heat pump.

You can look at the dimensions of your equipment, maybe even lay it all out. My plumber told me to get lots of extra room so it would be easy to service (he explicitly said so he didn't have to use unions which are hard to service later).

That seems small, but your equipment isn't that big. My guys just told me to do 3x9 for my equipment, but I have a big sand filter and a big heat pump.

You can look at the dimensions of your equipment, maybe even lay it all out. My plumber told me to get lots of extra room so it would be easy to service (he explicitly said so he didn't have to use unions which are hard to service later).

Oh, well... The pad is set at the size I mentioned. Hopefully I won't regret not insisting it be bigger. It does look kind of small now that it's framed out. But, you're right, we don't have a lot of stuff on it, so hopefully what's there plus the valves I have coming to it are all spaced well enough apart for ease of access.

Dig got finished today and came in less than the "worst case scenario" price I had been quoted. The guy told me he was giving me a break which I appreciated and believe to be true considering all the rock we ended up having. The plumber came by to measure around noon, I ordered the pipe which got delivered, and the plumber worked hard till dark, trying to get a head start on tomorrow, when they are calling for rain. Steel guys are supposed be here at 8 am tomorrow, so hopefully the rain will hold off.

It was neat to see the excavator and plumber work together even though they weren't really required to. It was providential that the plumber was there while the excavator was still finishing, because he was able to have the excavator carve out exactly where he needed to set the main drain and piping leading to it, and to make sure it ended up at the right depth. I was impressed.

Nice your end price came in a little lower that worse case! Save it for something else that will come in over! LOL

Neat they could/did work together like that!

Pad size----if you need or want to add size to it that will be easy. Just pour more like a "frame" around the small one!

Kim

Nice your end price came in a little lower that worse case! Save it for something else that will come in over! LOL

Neat they could/did work together like that!

Pad size----if you need or want to add size to it that will be easy. Just pour more like a "frame" around the small one!

Kim

Great idea on the pad expansion, Kim. I'll keep that in kind if I feel like we need it down the road.

Jamie,

Did you ever keep any of that stone for use somewhere else in the yard? Just curious.

Glad to hear the plumber and excavator worked together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

My main drain is a 32" long skinny oval and inside it has a spot for a hydrostatic relief valve. Fom this spot there is a pipe going down below where the gunite shell will end up, into a hollowed out area filled with gravel. I assumed the hole inside the drain would be plugged with a relief valve, that would let water in, while preventing water from flowing out, and they do make a part for this. However, the plumber is just planning on using a regular PVC plug to close the hole and he says we would manually remove it if we ever wanted to drain the pool, and this will let water in at that time.

My question is, should I track down a relief valve and use that instead of his PVC plug, or do you think I am fine without it? I've heard of relief valves leaking, and I'd hate to be introducing an unnecessary problem if there isn't a good enough reason in my situation.

When they dug the pool, at the beginning of day 3 we found a little bit of water at the bottom, but that is gone now. The hole is about 10' deep. We've had rain this year, but not anything like last spring, and it's a repeat of last year's rain that makes me concerned. Remember I am on all rock, if that makes a difference. Any help deciding what to use would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jamie,

Did you ever keep any of that stone for use somewhere else in the yard? Just curious.

Glad to hear the plumber and excavator worked together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

We saved a few small chunks with fossils, and my outdoorsman son salvaged a few limestone rocks, but the thought of keeping anything more was too overwhelming to me, not knowing how we'd move them. My husband was out of town on business too, so the reduced manpower made me forego the idea, even though it would have been neat.

The rebar guys and plumber are here this morning, and so far the rain is holding off. These guys are hard workers, but it sure would make my life easier if I could speak Spanish! Fortunately, my helpful plumber stepped in to translate between me and the rebar guys. The assurance I was given that someone on the rebar crew could speak English was a little off, at least at the level of mutual understanding I was hoping for. I think we've got things covered, though. I will make sure everything is done properly before they're paid.

Jamie I so admire what you are doing! Sounds like you are doing an amazing job being your own construction mgr.
Love the pictures of the kids!
I homeschooled my kids. We would have loved digging in the rock and finding fossils! What a great science class!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jamie I so admire what you are doing! Sounds like you are doing an amazing job being your own construction mgr.
Love the pictures of the kids!
I homeschooled my kids. We would have loved digging in the rock and finding fossils! What a great science class!!

Thanks, Denise! It has definitely been an experience so far. I'm wishing I had been able to tackle this earlier in my second trimester instead of right at the end of it, but I'm staying sane enough. :)

Good for you for homeschooling! It's definitely not the easy road, but we love the benefits for our family. All bets are off for standard productivity, though, when there's excavating going on! I've just got to take a deep breath and revamp my expectations. Everything is a learning experience, especially homegrown fossils. :)

Question... My plumber is pressure testing my plumbing using water in the pipes. The gauge on the top of the cartridge filter says 26, but there is a small, constant drip from the horizontal outlet on the bottom left of gauge. (Sorry, I should have taken a picture but now it's dark.). Small drips also seem to be coming from the bottom edge of the metal ring that encircles the filter. Is this normal? I would assume it's not supposed to drip.

The pipes have been under water pressure for several hours and aside from a small creep down in pressure due to the drips (like from 26 to 25.5 or 25), the pressure seems to be steady. How long do I need to leave it to know if the pipes are good?

We are supposed to get down to 29 degrees tonight so the plumber said to let the water out so the pipes wouldn't freeze. I will do that, and can always pressurize the system again with more water tomorrow to be sure. But do I need to or am I good to go now aside from the pesky drips? And what do I need to do about those anyway? :confused:

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Take pictures and mark the areas that leak. Drain the system overnight and inform the plumber that there were leaks. Your system should not drip or leak. Once pressurized, it should hold steady.

Take pictures and mark the areas that leak. Drain the system overnight and inform the plumber that there were leaks. Your system should not drip or leak. Once pressurized, it should hold steady.

Thanks Matt. The plumber was aware of the leaks and told me to expect the pressure to go down a tiny bit because of them, but that a real pipe leak would lose pressure more drastically. But at the time, I didn't know that the leak wasn't normal, so I didn't do anything about it. I can call him back out, and hopefully he'll come, but worst case, how do I fix this myself? I'll take pictures in the morning.

Hmmmm, hard to say. Take pictures of the leak and post them when you can. It is true that a real pipe leak would not hold pressure at all but dribbling water needs to be inspected to make sure it's just a simple fix (tighten the seal better, etc) or something more in-depth.

I guess you paid the plumber?

No worries. Just the usual bumps in the road with a pool build. Let's see where you're at tomorrow and perhaps it's no big deal. I'm sure if it's something major the plumber values his reputation enough to make a trip back to check things out.

No worries. Just the usual bumps in the road with a pool build. Let's see where you're at tomorrow and perhaps it's no big deal. I'm sure if it's something major the plumber values his reputation enough to make a trip back to check things out.

Thank you for the reassurance, Matt. I remembered I had a picture of the gauge from this afternoon that shows the leak, since I wanted to remember what the setting was originally. It was down to 25 when we just went out to drain it all.

I just went out and took a picture of the drip from the ring right before we drained the system.

Earlier there seemed to be another drip spot from the ring on the other side of the filter, it but wasn't obvious anymore and actually could have been drippage from the top filter gauge leak.

My guess is that some tube lube on the o-ring on the filter will fix that drip in the middle.

Not sure about the drip by the gauge.

Amazon.com : Lube Tube 4 ounces : Swimming Pool Pump Parts : Patio, Lawn Garden

You can get it at Home Depot and Lowes or shhhhhhhh the pool store LOL

You will want it for other things as well. It will be your first buy for the new pool!

How big is your yard/property???????? It looks big!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.