Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!

Thank you! We drive a 12 passenger Chevy Express van. Not the smoothest of rides, but I've come to like being up high and having the extra room for the kids (now diminishing!)

My daughter and I just had the opportunity to take a road trip with some friends in their Odyssey and I must say, that was a smoooth, awesome ride! Ironically, minivans tend to have more cargo room than the passenger vans, so that is something else in their favor.

Thank you! We drive a 12 passenger Chevy Express van. Not the smoothest of rides, but I've come to like being up high and having the extra room for the kids (now diminishing!)

My daughter and I just had the opportunity to take a road trip with some friends in their Odyssey and I must say, that was a smoooth, awesome ride! Ironically, minivans tend to have more cargo room than the passenger vans, so that is something else in their favor.

Yeah, my Odyssey is old and high mileage but paid for and I love it! It does have quite a bit of cargo space but sometimes I'd like more room for passenger. With all of our exchange student groups we often end up taking two cars even having the van!

I miss being up higher like I was in my old 4-runner. That is definitely nice!

Very nice....looking at your water tile trim, wish I had chosen that tile you picked. Really harmonious with the step trim tile you decided to go with.

Curious to know, were you able to afford to get some jewelscape glass into the Tropics Blue? I know it is a pricey upgrade, especially so when you were already expecting delivery (of a warm bundle of med bills) Also were you happy with the amount of sparkle given off by the abalone bits (and did the PB handcast it)? Pool color looks right on.

Very nice....looking at your water tile trim, wish I had chosen that tile you picked. Really harmonious with the step trim tile you decided to go with.

Curious to know, were you able to afford to get some jewelscape glass into the Tropics Blue? I know it is a pricey upgrade, especially so when you were already expecting delivery (of a warm bundle of med bills) Also were you happy with the amount of sparkle given off by the abalone bits (and did the PB handcast it)? Pool color looks right on.

Thank you for the compliments. You know that your pool was the inspiration behind all of my interior choices, right? I loved the color of your pool and your tile choices. Your waterline tile made me rethink my initial leanings toward royal blue, and I saw how the little bit of teal would look really nice. The reason I chose the waterline tile I did was because I was unsure of how the Tropics Blue would look in our surroundings and what colors it would pick up, so I thought the blend of blue and turquoise in the tile would cover all of my bases. The water does look different depending on the time of day and the weather, so that choice worked out very well.

I wish we could have done the glass beads, but the price just wasn't going to work for our overall budget. I think he quoted me $1500 for one bag, but I don't recall exactly. The abalone was hand seeded, and we paid $450 for two bags. Or maybe it is more accurate to say that we paid that much for an extra bag, and the original bag was left out of the mix so it could be hand seeded at the end with the extra bag. I was told this would make more of it show up instead of being hidden in the mix and that made sense to me. There is a lot of sparkle to the pool from the abalone. We are very happy with the look and feel it was money well spent. I especially like the glass trim tile we used that I had first admired on your pool. That ties everything together... The tropics blue color, the waterline tile and the sparkling abalone. It really gives the pool a finished look.

So, let me take the opportunity to thank you for sharing your pool here. It truly was our inspiration and we are so happy with our end result. :)

So glad things turned out well for you. The reasoning behind your choice of the waterline tile was obviously right on.

It is interesting how pool water changes colors under different conditions, and perhaps even more so with photos.

I can appreciate your decision about foregoing the extra cost of the glass. I went back and forth as to that decision because if the cost...drove my PB crazy. It really was a last minute impulsive move on my part.

Also, Regret not following your pool build thread as it was moving along, tho I did recently go through all of them. You sure had a lot of ppl following it. I had to chuckle when I read about your trim tile experience as a similar situation happened to me in that respect. Spa step trim tile was quite a bit off alignment so out it went. PB was good about it though. Yours turned out great...really adds a lot of visual snap.

The best part of your pool is, of course, being able to enjoy it with your kids. My three are all off at college so am missing a huge part of the pool experience.

Kids, summertime arriving soon, new pool, new baby....you are really living the dream.

Cheers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jaime has the uncanny ability for solicit followers...heck, she even grabbed me by the neck....

Haha! You guys are very kind. I'm fortunate that as many people took the time to follow as there were... I really couldn't have done it without all the help, especially Brian's for our bicarbonate startup. Even now I'm amazed that we did it. I'm not even ready to re-read the whole build thread because I don't want to relive it quite yet...still decompressing from it all! But it's been a great learning experience and I'm glad we did it. However, I'm not sure I'd recommend anyone do an owner build while pregnant, but that's another topic! :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.