Pool pump no pressure but has flow

scum1

Sep 4, 2012
Ok so I was out of town a couple of weeks. Got a lot of leaves in the pool on the bottom. So I was cleaning them out and noticed the pump sounded strange. Sounds like it's cavitating? I have water flowing and but the pressure is low. It's usually 20 psi and it's only like 3 psi. I have back flushed, replaced O ring on filter basket. I used snoop to leak check all over too but found nothing. I'm at a loss as to what it could be

...............So I was cleaning them out and noticed the pump sounded strange. Sounds like it's cavitating? I have water flowing and but the pressure is low.

How were you cleaning out the leaves? It sounds like you may have a dirty skimmer (do you have an equalizer port?) or a clog before you get to the pump (suction side)...... What does your pump basket look like?

Equalizer port? Skimmers are all empty. I was just scooping the leaves out with a net. The skimmer farthest from the pump has very little suction. The closer one has some suction but not much. I lined the bottom drain up and that did not help either

clogged impeller, if the pump basket has even the slightest crack it will allow debris to pass thru and clog the impeller, baskets can be flimsy on whisper flo pumps, the water movement when looking thru clear pump lid on your pump should be more powerful looking, compared to the weak appearance in video, and the mention of both skimmers also weak when isolated from each other, pretty much rules out skimmer lines being clogged, i have worked on hundreds of pumps over 25 years, (i am a pool repair tech, not a pool cleaner) it doesnt really matter how you clean your leafs from pool for the most part (unless you live in "leaf town") if your pump basket is frequently stuffed full of debris, it will over time split and crack, eventually clogging the impeller because debris passes thru it, so carefully inspect the pump basket, even if you dont see it cracked anywhere, get in the habit of inspecting it, and replacing it for even the smallest cracks, air leaks are most likely not a major problem for you as the pump appeared to be primed in video, when viewed thru pump lid, just had a very weak stagnant appearance regarding water flow/movement in basket area, very common condition with impeller blockage, compared to the normal more forceful water action seen when viewing thru pump lid under optimal conditions 20 psi etc.

The basket was cracked and I just replaced it yesterday. In fact I was going out to install the new basket when I discovered this problem. So how should I go about clearing the impeller? Just open up the pump? I've replaced the motor 2 times but it's been a while since I worked on any of this.

clogged impeller, if the pump basket has even the slightest crack it will allow debris to pass thru and clog the impeller, baskets can be flimsy on whisper flo pumps, the water movement when looking thru clear pump lid on your pump should be more powerful looking, compared to the weak appearance in video, and the mention of both skimmers also weak when isolated from each other, pretty much rules out skimmer lines being clogged, i have worked on hundreds of pumps over 25 years, (i am a pool repair tech, not a pool cleaner) it doesnt really matter how you clean your leafs from pool for the most part (unless you live in "leaf town") if your pump basket is frequently stuffed full of debris, it will over time split and crack, eventually clogging the impeller because debris passes thru it, so carefully inspect the pump basket, even if you dont see it cracked anywhere, get in the habit of inspecting it, and replacing it for even the smallest cracks, air leaks are most likely not a major problem for you as the pump appeared to be primed in video, when viewed thru pump lid, just had a very weak stagnant appearance regarding water flow/movement in basket area, very common condition with impeller blockage, compared to the normal more forceful water action seen when viewing thru pump lid under optimal conditions 20 psi etc.

When I bought my house, I had the same symptoms. I was able to clear the impeller with my fingers.

1. Turn off power on the breaker

2. Remove pump lid and the strainer basket.

3. Push you fingers down into the impeller and feel for leaves/debris caught on the impeller.

Worked like a charm! Thanks. There was a bunch of leaves and a small twig even. I just bought a new basket for the pump as well as skimmer baskets. Guess I was a little late but I'm good now

When I bought my house, I had the same symptoms. I was able to clear the impeller with my fingers.

3. Push you fingers down into the impeller and feel for leaves/debris caught on the impeller.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Incidentally, buzzard302, that was a great post......short, concise and easy to understand. TFP counts on those type posts to help our members. Thanks!

Dave is correct, this is a great post.

The key thing I like is the safety aspect - turn off the breaker!

I will just add, IF the breaker is not within sight of the device you are working on you need to make sure someone doesn't turn it back on in error. In an industrial setting there are actually locks that can be put on a breaker, but in a residential setting just a piece of tape (I like blue painter tape) over the breaker will let my wife know I working on that circuit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.