Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump no pressure but has flow

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pump no pressure but has flow

Ok so I was out of town a couple of weeks. Got a lot of leaves in the pool on the bottom. So I was cleaning them out and noticed the pump sounded strange. Sounds like it's cavitating? I have water flowing and but the pressure is low. It's usually 20 psi and it's only like 3 psi. I have back flushed, replaced O ring on filter basket. I used snoop to leak check all over too but found nothing. I'm at a loss as to what it could be

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pump no pressure but has flow

Quote Originally Posted by scum1 View Post
    ...............So I was cleaning them out and noticed the pump sounded strange. Sounds like it's cavitating? I have water flowing and but the pressure is low.
    How were you cleaning out the leaves? It sounds like you may have a dirty skimmer (do you have an equalizer port?) or a clog before you get to the pump (suction side)...... What does your pump basket look like?

3. Back To Top    #3

Equalizer port? Skimmers are all empty. I was just scooping the leaves out with a net. The skimmer farthest from the pump has very little suction. The closer one has some suction but not much. I lined the bottom drain up and that did not help either

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is a video of the pump

20160112 1452211 - YouTube

5. Back To Top    #5

You have air in your pump basket. It appears you have never fully primed or (more likely) are sucking air from somewhere.....

6. Back To Top    #6

That can also be caused by a clogged suction line or a clogged impeller.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

clogged impeller, if the pump basket has even the slightest crack it will allow debris to pass thru and clog the impeller, baskets can be flimsy on whisper flo pumps, the water movement when looking thru clear pump lid on your pump should be more powerful looking, compared to the weak appearance in video, and the mention of both skimmers also weak when isolated from each other, pretty much rules out skimmer lines being clogged, i have worked on hundreds of pumps over 25 years, (i am a pool repair tech, not a pool cleaner) it doesnt really matter how you clean your leafs from pool for the most part (unless you live in "leaf town") if your pump basket is frequently stuffed full of debris, it will over time split and crack, eventually clogging the impeller because debris passes thru it, so carefully inspect the pump basket, even if you dont see it cracked anywhere, get in the habit of inspecting it, and replacing it for even the smallest cracks, air leaks are most likely not a major problem for you as the pump appeared to be primed in video, when viewed thru pump lid, just had a very weak stagnant appearance regarding water flow/movement in basket area, very common condition with impeller blockage, compared to the normal more forceful water action seen when viewing thru pump lid under optimal conditions 20 psi etc.

8. Back To Top    #8

The basket was cracked and I just replaced it yesterday. In fact I was going out to install the new basket when I discovered this problem. So how should I go about clearing the impeller? Just open up the pump? I've replaced the motor 2 times but it's been a while since I worked on any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by pool&spatech View Post
    clogged impeller, if the pump basket has even the slightest crack it will allow debris to pass thru and clog the impeller, baskets can be flimsy on whisper flo pumps, the water movement when looking thru clear pump lid on your pump should be more powerful looking, compared to the weak appearance in video, and the mention of both skimmers also weak when isolated from each other, pretty much rules out skimmer lines being clogged, i have worked on hundreds of pumps over 25 years, (i am a pool repair tech, not a pool cleaner) it doesnt really matter how you clean your leafs from pool for the most part (unless you live in "leaf town") if your pump basket is frequently stuffed full of debris, it will over time split and crack, eventually clogging the impeller because debris passes thru it, so carefully inspect the pump basket, even if you dont see it cracked anywhere, get in the habit of inspecting it, and replacing it for even the smallest cracks, air leaks are most likely not a major problem for you as the pump appeared to be primed in video, when viewed thru pump lid, just had a very weak stagnant appearance regarding water flow/movement in basket area, very common condition with impeller blockage, compared to the normal more forceful water action seen when viewing thru pump lid under optimal conditions 20 psi etc.

9. Back To Top    #9

When I bought my house, I had the same symptoms. I was able to clear the impeller with my fingers.

1. Turn off power on the breaker

2. Remove pump lid and the strainer basket.

3. Push you fingers down into the impeller and feel for leaves/debris caught on the impeller.
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Cool Re: Pool pump no pressure but has flow

Worked like a charm! Thanks. There was a bunch of leaves and a small twig even. I just bought a new basket for the pump as well as skimmer baskets. Guess I was a little late but I'm good now

Quote Originally Posted by buzzard302 View Post
    When I bought my house, I had the same symptoms. I was able to clear the impeller with my fingers.

3. Push you fingers down into the impeller and feel for leaves/debris caught on the impeller.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Incidentally, buzzard302, that was a great post......short, concise and easy to understand. TFP counts on those type posts to help our members. Thanks!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by buzzard302 View Post

Dave is correct, this is a great post.

The key thing I like is the safety aspect - turn off the breaker!

I will just add, IF the breaker is not within sight of the device you are working on you need to make sure someone doesn't turn it back on in error. In an industrial setting there are actually locks that can be put on a breaker, but in a residential setting just a piece of tape (I like blue painter tape) over the breaker will let my wife know I working on that circuit.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP to the rescue once again! Thanks for this post!