Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rooftop solar pool heater leaking even while turned off

1. Back To Top    #1

Rooftop solar pool heater leaking even while turned off

I have a rooftop solar heater, not sure which brand. It was already here when I moved in a couple years ago. I noticed that during the past couple days there is water coming off my roof any time the pool pump is on. The heater is turned off, and the valve is closed. When I turn the pump off I can hear the vacuum breaker on the roof draining the panels. The filter pressure is at 10 psi with the solar heater off, it goes up to 16-17 with the heater on.

I am trying to figure out why the solar heater is being filled with water even when it is turned off. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks
    Phoenix AZ
    12,500 gallon IG pebbletech pool installed 2010
    Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Cartridge filter, Single speed pump, Heliocol solar heater

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Rooftop solar pool heater leaking even while turned off

Do you have a hand valve and a check valve on the solar?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure what a hand valve is. The valve that opens to send water to the rooftop heater has a motor on it and is controlled by the heater temperature controller.
    There is a check valve in the pipe coming down from the roof.
    Phoenix AZ
    12,500 gallon IG pebbletech pool installed 2010
    Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Cartridge filter, Single speed pump, Heliocol solar heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

When you say your heater is off, do you mean that it, the solar is turned off and has been winterized for the season? Or it is just turned off? And if it is winterized, did you call a company to come and do it?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

5. Back To Top    #5

Many of those automatic valves have a pin hole drilled in them to allow the water to drain back with the pump is off, this has the side effect of filling up the solar panels slowly when the pump is running.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~