Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: most durable method of resurfacing an in ground 20 x 40 fully tiled pool

1. Back To Top    #1

most durable method of resurfacing an in ground 20 x 40 fully tiled pool

I have above described pool that is 21and 1/2 years old in original tile surface. I was originally told that tile is lifetime but now need to resurface due to leaks. a resurfacer was out today a that said Florida Gem by Florida Stucco is a much better pool surface than tile. It will outlive tile and remain in great condition.

Is this finish 'diamond bright' by another name? I'm looking for the most durable pool finish and will probably retile if that is what you say is best.

Thank you for you help,
    EWS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: most durable method of resurfacing an in ground 20 x 40 fully tiled pool

I would LOVE to see a picture of your pool.

I don't know this for a fact BUT I have always heard that tile is the best, longest lasting surface for a pool.

Do you have someone to take the old tile out? THAT is going to be a BIG job!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Our PB gave us a 15 year warranty on our Pebbletec. I don't know how it compares to tile though.
    Pool: 16,000 gallons, 16x31, 500SqFt gunite pool, White Pebbletec interior, built by Cody Pools. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, In-line chlor with Ultra UV, PV3 Infloor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch-P4 control. TF-100
    Spa: 525 Gallons, Coast fiberglass spa of unknown vintage and suspect previous care with a 2-speed main pump and a blower motor, both 4HP. 3-step bromine sanitized.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Tile is the most durable of all pool finishes....it is also the most costly by a bunch, I think.

Like every pool surface, long term water chemistry plays a large part in the longevity.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

look at Aqua Bright by ecoFinnish
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

6. Back To Top    #6

Unless your tiles are cracked you may just need a new grout job on them.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I dont know of any surface that would outlast tile. That guy is full of it.
    Unless there is a structural crack, you probably just need some re grouting.
    If you hate the tile that is another thing. I demoed out a 80's all Mauve tile pool. Little dated on that color. But tile below water was in perfect shape.
    I have a all tile spa, and large all tile shelves in my
    I would get a second opinion on that one.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I think what many are wondering is how bad of an issue with the tiles did your leaks create? Do you have some damage pics you can share? We'd love to see them and then maybe we can get behind a resurface.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Nothing out lasts Tile, and nothing costs as much to put in. Unless it's glass Tile.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem