Freeze protection modem, spa cold and I am hot.

TulsaKevin

Platinum Supporter
Dec 8, 2014
Tulsa OK
I am on the edge of insanity. I know there is an easy solution, but I have not found it yet. We have the Omnilogic control system. I want to use the spa in any weather. It never gets that cold here, but occasionally dips in the 20s, but at night around 30-38 is not unusual in the winter. This is when I want to be in a spa. I do not want to hop in hot water when the air temp is about 40. That is just me. I had this conversation numerous time with the PB, and was told no problem. I specifically brought up the issue of freeze control override and mentioned if it was not possible to use it in any weather, then I didn't want a spa, I would get a stand alone hotube and have it "incorporated" in. I was told no problem.

Been try to use it, but the freeze protection will kick it out of spa mode every 15 minutes.

I talked to the PB post installation person and he just kept on telling me about freeze protection mode. I talked to the PB and he said he will get a solution.

Am I the only crazy one that thinks cold weather is spa weather.

In the Pentair EasyTouch world, the user selects which functions and relays get FREEZE PROTECTION. So I actually have POOL mode and SPA mode with the freeze protect option set to "NO" and I have a separate aux function set to a really low pump speed (1000RPM) and the freeze protect option set to "YES". This means when it's cold out, only that low speed pump circuit runs.

I have to imagine the OmniLogic controller does something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Apparently the Aqualogic (previous model/base model) has a manual freeze protection bypass setting. The Omnilogic does to, but, it puts it in service mode, making almost everything else non operational. Talked to the PB post install tonight, and the solution is to

Option A: remove the air temp probe. Not good solution seeing that it is not an easy thing to do, plus there is a reason that we there is a freeze protection mode and the fact it will most likely throw a lot of codes and warnings.

Option B: heat the probe. Basically I can put a hand warmer on it, or a small heater under it to heat the air, to fool it into thinking it is warmer.

I choose Option B, though got to find the best way.

For me cold=spa. I can't believe that I am in the vast minority of thinking this.

For me cold=spa. I can't believe that I am in the vast minority of thinking this.

Not to me! I rarely use my spa in the summer because it's too darn hot out. I find it uncomfortable to be in a 100F spa when the air temp is 95F. What's the point of that?!??

I like to use my spa when the air temp is cold out.

As for your automation panel, that's really lame. You should have the option to disable Freeze protect as-needed without having to "trick" the controller. That's just a bad design IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Option B: heat the probe. Basically I can put a hand warmer on it, or a small heater under it to heat the air, to fool it into thinking it is warmer.

I choose Option B, though got to find the best way.

Try using a cheap metal reflector contractor work light with a 60- or 100-W incandescent bulb in it. I like the old-style filament bulbs that throw off a nice yellow light with lots of warmth. I use the clamp style ones on my orange and lime trees too keep them warm during overnight freezes. Home Depot sells them for $8 a lamp.

Like this - 150-Watt Incandescent Clamp Light, HD-300PDQ at The Home Depot - Mobile

I contacted them today. Just to recap: the PB said the rep told him that there is a hour override button on the menu, the post installation guru said that you can disable it, but only in service mode. I read the instruction manual and they mention the word enable freeze protection, which would lead me to believe it is an option.

So I called them to clarify, they said, go to the config wizard, scroll til you get to filter and spa, select the disable button and that is all.

So, the manual was the most right.

Also you need a password to get into the system, if you go to the config menu, hit system info, the top number says MSP or some thing like that and is a 5 digit number. That is the password.

I like the light idea, but being outside with some moisture, is somewhat an issue, thought we have a GCFI so no big deal. But, I am just going to activate those little cheap hand warmers, lay in on the probe, kick on the spa and heater, open a cold bubbly for the hot spa and enjoy. If i forget to take the warmer off, no big deal, it will lose temp in about 4 hours and we are back in freeze protection mode. You can get 20 for 20 dollars, there are 2 in a pack, so that is 40 nights of spa when the weather is less than 35. So probably only need about 10 pairs really around here. It was 61degrees today.

I figured there had to be a way to shut if off. I know there is for the Aqua-logic and I can't imagine they would have taken that out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.