LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Austin, TX
785e66bab06fa0a98595bcd0ce444abb.jpg

4d1e733d669b8ad25fc4853248f9a93e.jpg

0fa49a281cea381530dde87397a0838c.jpg

Hello:

Here are some pics of tree damage.

We removed the oak three years ago, but found this mess when starting a small deck project that has now turned into a full remodel.

The concrete crew helping me with the demo and rebuild are AMAZING . They can do anything, but unlike most pool builders they are on time, reliable and trustworthy :)

Any tips on rebuilding the bond beam before adding tile and new coping (we are knocking out the rest of the coping tomorrow).

It looks like there was mud put over the pool structure under the tiles to build up the wall, but now we can rebuild the beam.

Any special cement or gunite they should use?

Should we use rebar to bond this new layer under the coping ? (The existing material under the tile did NOT use rebar and that's what the roots penetrated.

Please let me know any tips.

Thanks very much - David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Makes me apprehensive about the trees that will be near our pool. I wonder if there was already a leak in the pool structure and the roots were just seeking out the water and making damage as they went, or they just grew freely and penetrated whatever was in their way? I guess you'll never know, but it's great you have such a confidence-inspiring crew to remedy this for you!

Wow! Makes me apprehensive about the trees that will be near our pool. I wonder if there was already a leak in the pool structure and the roots were just seeking out the water and making damage as they went, or they just grew freely and penetrated whatever was in their way?!

I don't think it was a leak. There was a giant oak not three feet from the edge of the pool when we bought the house. It had cracked the skimmer (which was plugged and not attached to anything). The roots had found the path of least resistance- the line between the coping and the pool wall.

The previous owners should have cut that tree down years ago (like 10 years before they sold us the house). They will not be in the pool owners hall of fame.

If the trees near your pool are big and have roots chop em down.

Trees are the enemies of pools (unless they are something like an evergreen with very controlled root growth).

Demo and replace coping... but keep tile? Is this crazy talk?

Hello:

The out of control pool remodel continues - it started as a 250 square foot deck and turned into a full remodel of a broken pool.

My construction crew is awesome but they haven't done coping before - our plan it to cut out existing coping and mortar on new coping ... But keep existing tile.

We are gonna cut the coping joint with a straight saw from inside the pool but try to keep the tile that is in good shape (and the budget is totally blown at this point)

Is this crazy- should I just accept the fact we are gonna have to retile?

Here is an inspirational shot :

bc8e24e6c76b68ee22cb7ee61ddcf252.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am almost positive now from that picture your expansion joint wasn't done correctly. Because of this the deck was pushing up against the bond beam causing the crack. The oak (probably a post oak) roots then got inside or a combo of the two.

I am almost positive now from that picture your expansion joint wasn't done correctly. Because of this the deck was pushing up against the bond beam causing the crack. The oak (probably a post oak) roots then got inside or a combo of the two.

Sounds about right. When we bought the house the electric panel was in reaching distance of the pool. You could literally stick your foot in the pool and touch the fusebox, which would cause you to .. well .. blow up. That was the first of many big projects to move the box and get it to code. The people who built this pool .. :(

Anyway - any suggestions for fixing this mess?

One thing we are doing is using pavers. I think think that will put less pressure on the pool and also give me access If anything breaks (again) in the plumbing.

3c28a47d1e819419b535eba111619801.jpg

Some days you just have to go for it .. Cut out the skimmer and see what happens. Original was damaged but start of replacement seemed to go ok. Pouring concrete tomorrow.

c0c60ed5853e4300505b8d32e9edaefa.jpg

Good news (finally) we might be able to cut out the coping and keep the tile ... Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.