Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tree cracked my pool - let's talk about rebuilding bond beam

1. Back To Top    #1

Tree cracked my pool - let's talk about rebuilding bond beam

Hello:

Here are some pics of tree damage.

We removed the oak three years ago, but found this mess when starting a small deck project that has now turned into a full remodel.

The concrete crew helping me with the demo and rebuild are AMAZING . They can do anything, but unlike most pool builders they are on time, reliable and trustworthy

Any tips on rebuilding the bond beam before adding tile and new coping (we are knocking out the rest of the coping tomorrow).

It looks like there was mud put over the pool structure under the tiles to build up the wall, but now we can rebuild the beam.

Any special cement or gunite they should use?

Should we use rebar to bond this new layer under the coping ? (The existing material under the tile did NOT use rebar and that's what the roots penetrated.

Please let me know any tips.

Thanks very much - David

~23,500 Gallon In-Ground Plaster Pool, Intelliflo VS+ Pump, Hayward 4820 DE Filter, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tree cracked my pool - let's talk about rebuilding bond beam

Wow! Makes me apprehensive about the trees that will be near our pool. I wonder if there was already a leak in the pool structure and the roots were just seeking out the water and making damage as they went, or they just grew freely and penetrated whatever was in their way? I guess you'll never know, but it's great you have such a confidence-inspiring crew to remedy this for you!
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

3. Back To Top    #3

No help here BUT so want you to take many pics and write up what they do as they do it. This could be a good learning experience for all of us!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
    Wow! Makes me apprehensive about the trees that will be near our pool. I wonder if there was already a leak in the pool structure and the roots were just seeking out the water and making damage as they went, or they just grew freely and penetrated whatever was in their way?!
    I don't think it was a leak. There was a giant oak not three feet from the edge of the pool when we bought the house. It had cracked the skimmer (which was plugged and not attached to anything). The roots had found the path of least resistance- the line between the coping and the pool wall.

The previous owners should have cut that tree down years ago (like 10 years before they sold us the house). They will not be in the pool owners hall of fame.

If the trees near your pool are big and have roots chop em down.

Trees are the enemies of pools (unless they are something like an evergreen with very controlled root growth).

~23,500 Gallon In-Ground Plaster Pool, Intelliflo VS+ Pump, Hayward 4820 DE Filter, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Demo and replace coping... but keep tile? Is this crazy talk?

Hello:

The out of control pool remodel continues - it started as a 250 square foot deck and turned into a full remodel of a broken pool.

My construction crew is awesome but they haven't done coping before - our plan it to cut out existing coping and mortar on new coping ... But keep existing tile.

We are gonna cut the coping joint with a straight saw from inside the pool but try to keep the tile that is in good shape (and the budget is totally blown at this point)

Is this crazy- should I just accept the fact we are gonna have to retile?

Here is an inspirational shot :

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Demo and replace coping... but keep tile? Is this crazy talk?

pool remodel night time shot

7. Back To Top    #7

in the pictures the coping looks like poured concrete coping?
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

8. Back To Top    #8

You might be able to salvage the tiles but if not I will PM you a company I have used to buy tiles from locally.
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyB View Post
    You might be able to salvage the tiles but if not I will PM you a company I have used to buy tiles from locally.
    That'd be great thanks. The funny thing is those tiles are so old they are labelled "made in ... Japan "

10. Back To Top    #10

in the pictures the coping looks like poured concrete coping?
    I'm not sure if it was poured. It looks like pre-cast bullnose, but I'm not certain. There are grout lines between each piece.

11. Back To Top    #11

12. Back To Top    #12

I am almost positive now from that picture your expansion joint wasn't done correctly. Because of this the deck was pushing up against the bond beam causing the crack. The oak (probably a post oak) roots then got inside or a combo of the two.

13. Back To Top    #13

I am almost positive now from that picture your expansion joint wasn't done correctly. Because of this the deck was pushing up against the bond beam causing the crack. The oak (probably a post oak) roots then got inside or a combo of the two.
    Sounds about right. When we bought the house the electric panel was in reaching distance of the pool. You could literally stick your foot in the pool and touch the fusebox, which would cause you to .. well .. blow up. That was the first of many big projects to move the box and get it to code. The people who built this pool ..

Anyway - any suggestions for fixing this mess?

One thing we are doing is using pavers. I think think that will put less pressure on the pool and also give me access If anything breaks (again) in the plumbing.

14. Back To Top    #14

Just when you didn't think it could get any worse :0

15. Back To Top    #15

No bueno

16. Back To Top    #16

OUCH!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Some days you just have to go for it .. Cut out the skimmer and see what happens. Original was damaged but start of replacement seemed to go ok. Pouring concrete tomorrow.

Good news (finally) we might be able to cut out the coping and keep the tile ... Let's see what happens tomorrow.

18. Back To Top    #18

I can see why you want to keep the tile. It is very pretty!

Kim

19. Back To Top    #19

Do I see rusting rebar?

Generally you want to expose rusting rebar, clean it up and then pour over. It looks like you have a berm powered over your bond beam. Some woul seal the exposed rebar with epoxy.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

20. Back To Top    #20

Bye bye coping!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast