I am a first-time new pool owner and need to purchase and install new pool equipment and looking for recommendations on which variable speed pump and cartridge filter that are a good fit for the pool. I am looking to upgrade the existing equipment for energy savings and simplifying the operation/maintenance of the pool.
The pool is 30+ years old, estimated 28,000 gallons, has 1.5" piping, still has all the old 25+ year old equipment that includes a single-speed 1hp (1.65 service factor) pump, cartridge filter 156 sq ft, minimax 100 heater, etc.
I am looking at purchasing one of the the following pumps:
1. Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump, 3 Horsepower
2. Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump, 1-1/2 Horsepower
- Given the 1.5" pipes and 30+ years for the pool, is there any risk with installing the Pentair Intelliflo 3 horsepower pump and potentially bursting/damaging the 1.5" pipes given too much power if (mistakenly) run at the maximum level (this was mentioned by one pool person I asked recently)?
- Given the existing pool configuration, are there any other considerations to think about between selecting the Pentair Intelliflo 3hp vs the Pentair Superflo 1.5hp?
- What would you ultimately recommend as the right fit for the pool to save on energy and best fit for this pool?
Cartridge Filter Question
I am looking at purchasing the following cartridge filter:
1. Pentair 160332 Clean & Clear Plus Fiberglass Reinforced Polypropylene Tank Cartridge Pool Filter, 520 Square Feet, 150 GPM
- From my conversations with pool owners and pool professionals, everyone has indicated to go with the largest cartridge filter possible and to go with Pentair where possible for the filter and pump.
- Does Pentair offer any other larger residential cartridge filter that I should possibly consider?
- Given the existing pool configuration, are there any other considerations to think about in selecting the cartridge filter?
- What would you ultimately recommend as the right fit for the pool given the info provided thus far?
Thank you in advance for your help and insight.