Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction side port for cleaner not enough pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction side port for cleaner not enough pressure

I recently added a side suction line. I can't get enough suction to power my new pentair warrior from the side port. When I hook it up to the skimmer it's more than enough suction and have to turn it down.

I have the side suction valve opened 100% but it's not enough suction. Am I missing something or is my pool plumbing not plummed correctly? I do get suction but it's weak even when valve is opened full at pump.

Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Picture link above. Pool pump is connected to the right of valve and the way I have it in pic both the skimmer (pipe below valve) and side suction (pipe to left of valve) are both open 100%

Please help
    11.5k Gal In Ground Pool w/ attached spa
    Mini Pebble Stonescapes Plaster Tropics Blue
    48 sq DE Filter with Perlite
    Intelliflow VS pump
    Pentair Warrior with Hayward leaf basket

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suction side port for cleaner not enough pressure

You need to turn the handle to the left to block of some of the main drain / skimmer to force more water to flow from the cleaner port.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Suction side port for cleaner not enough pressure

The valve doesn't allow me to move in that direction which would be downward correct?. It only lets me cut off the side Suction (left pipe) or up which keeps both skimmer and side suction open completely or right which is the pull pump. Can the screws be removed on this valve to change the direction it allows me to close off? Thanks for you reply

EDIT: I had to cut the handle of the valve to allow me to turn the valve to choke on the skimmer and that worked.