Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why shouldn't you use Trichloro-s-triazinetrione tablets in hot tub floater?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why shouldn't you use Trichloro-s-triazinetrione tablets in hot tub floater?

Hi I'm new to the world of hot tub ownership. I've been trying to gain knowledge on hot tub water treatment and care.
    Is it commended not to use trichloro 1' tablets in floaters in a hot tub due to it being stable form and rising the CYA to high overtime?
    Are there any non-stable dichloro/trichloro tablets on the market or do most just use liquid bleach once CYA levels are normal levels?

Thanks
    2015 Bullfrog A8
    540 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why shouldn't you use Trichloro-s-triazinetrione tablets in hot tub floater?

There is cal-hypo that is stabilized with calcium but that will raise your CH. Most use bleach. I have been using this process in my tub for a little over two years and it works great, How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?. More on various forms of chlorine here, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Why shouldn't you use Trichloro-s-triazinetrione tablets in hot tub floater?

Quote Originally Posted by v4kerker View Post
    ...<snip>...
    Are there any non-stable dichloro/trichloro tablets on the market or do most just use liquid bleach once CYA levels are normal levels?
    Thanks
    If it is a pill or a powder, it is stabilized.... with something. The general opinion, in this forum, is to add only what is needed to your water. If you need sanitizer (only), that pretty much excludes solid materials, because they add other chemicals, as well..... thus, not recommended. However, if you choose to use powders and pills, the only down side is managing the effects of the stabilizer.... which can be time consuming and expensive.