Raising water depth of pool deep end - 5' vs 6'

dai_vu

Jan 10, 2016
Mountain View, CA
Hi we have a 36' x 18' kidney shaped pool. 3' in shallow and 8' at the deep end. We are renovating our pool and would like to raise the deep end water depth. We never use the deep end and the slope is very dramatic. Now just debating between 5' and 6' water depth.

Not sure if 6' adds much value over 5'. Diving isn't safe at either 5' or 6'. 5' has the advantage that some adults (perhaps 5'8" or taller) can stand in the deep end. I guess 6' might be marginally safer for folks jumping into the pool.

Thoughts?

I split the difference and went with 5.5'. I am 6,3. Can't safely dive in less than 8ft. 6ft is at my eye level so can't stand there, 5' would have worked also, but I went for 5/1/2 for a little extra buffer when jumping in and not bottoming out.

Hi. We didn't want people diving for safety reasons so my "deep end" is 6.5 ft. If you ask my wife she would tell you to go with the 5'. Her reason is that she wanted a very gradual slope. At 6.5 it's steeper than she wanted (but not bad at all). I might suggest the 6' for the reasons I went with 6.5. I have 3 young kids and when they are teenagers I was concerned that jumping into something shallow like 5' would result in hit knees or tailbones (being/acting like teenagers but some in an adult sized body). If that's not a concern for you then I'd go with 5' over the 6'. Most people can stand at 5 but not at 6. You'll get so much use of the "deep end." I put a roman end bench at my deep end so we get a lot of use of that area because of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.