Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising water depth of pool deep end - 5' vs 6'

1. Back To Top    #1

Mountain View, CA

Raising water depth of pool deep end - 5' vs 6'

Hi we have a 36' x 18' kidney shaped pool. 3' in shallow and 8' at the deep end. We are renovating our pool and would like to raise the deep end water depth. We never use the deep end and the slope is very dramatic. Now just debating between 5' and 6' water depth.

Not sure if 6' adds much value over 5'. Diving isn't safe at either 5' or 6'. 5' has the advantage that some adults (perhaps 5'8" or taller) can stand in the deep end. I guess 6' might be marginally safer for folks jumping into the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Fullerton, CA

Re: Raising water depth of pool deep end - 5' vs 6'

I split the difference and went with 5.5'. I am 6,3. Can't safely dive in less than 8ft. 6ft is at my eye level so can't stand there, 5' would have worked also, but I went for 5/1/2 for a little extra buffer when jumping in and not bottoming out.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

3. Back To Top    #3
    New York

Re: Raising water depth of pool deep end - 5' vs 6'

Hi. We didn't want people diving for safety reasons so my "deep end" is 6.5 ft. If you ask my wife she would tell you to go with the 5'. Her reason is that she wanted a very gradual slope. At 6.5 it's steeper than she wanted (but not bad at all). I might suggest the 6' for the reasons I went with 6.5. I have 3 young kids and when they are teenagers I was concerned that jumping into something shallow like 5' would result in hit knees or tailbones (being/acting like teenagers but some in an adult sized body). If that's not a concern for you then I'd go with 5' over the 6'. Most people can stand at 5 but not at 6. You'll get so much use of the "deep end." I put a roman end bench at my deep end so we get a lot of use of that area because of it.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LEG lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter)