New O/B Las Vegas needs help lol

Jan 9, 2016
Las Vegas Nevada
GROSS OUT ALERT PAGE 9 you have been warned lol. Can take pictures down if not allowed. Me and my wife have been wanting a pool for a while. We tried to hire a PB but wasn't happy with interviews and prices. We decided to owner build and found consultant that said would make it easy for us and cheap to use him. I won't go into detail it's a long read but basically told us 2000 for services and would have to buy our equipment through him. Now as we have started it is over $4000 and growing if would continue to use him. We have decided against this and are now here. Can explain more in private message if anyone wants to know details just to long to write.
So we have a drawing and engineering which we over paid but o well we are here and it is now lessoned learned.
Here is little info on pool and where we are at. Pool didn't have no raised ledges because back of pool backs up to neighbors and a road. Raising around pool would allow for our dogs to be higher up to top of wall and worried they may jump
over. We have no kids living at home as they are all grown and moved out. So building a pool to do laps in wasn't our concern. We were looking for more of a relaxing entertaining pool. The reason for steps on deep end was because we also have a little dog that loves to swim and would know where to get out of if fell in. I also have had multiple knee surgeries so wanted easy access to spa. We are doing a semi sunken portable spa not a concrete one.
Some ideas ours and some suggested so have no idea what is right and wrong.

36.5 x 16.7 pool with 14ft of wet deck with plaster tint finish. 1 foot deep wet deck and benches. 3.5 deep in shallow and 5.5 in deep. Approx 17000 gallons we are told. Not sure of tint in plaster yet. Wanted Quartz but talked out of it so would like feedback on that. Inground cleaning system with 2 skimmer. 3 led lights. Lots of decking with spray deck.

All equipment recommended Jandy because guys friend sells it we found out. We are open to others but have no idea what's better or not.
Jandy 2.0 variable speed pump
Jandy 460 cartridge filter
Jandy salt system 1400
No heater but solar stubbed
Need a good brand of led lights to buy
Need a good Inground system to buy
Need subs contractor list
Just need HELP lol jk
We will get this done in time I'm sure. Just scary thought of doing it but it will get done.
576ee60df3c91775b9702f7724f311c1.jpg
416f5410bfcc5bb2ab9ad2dd9904a753.jpg
6fb8746a86804c045304cecba8bb41de.jpg
35c12bb42cf25e0191bfc5938a45b775.jpg

I like the stairs in the deep end too, especially how they are on the outside of the perimeter rather than intruding into the pool area. I can't really help to much except to say I have a Jandy cart filter too (c360 so I think it's smaller?). I really like it. Takes a while to clean but it's only twice per year (first year will be more due to so much from construction). I also have Jandy led lights (2) and I love the color choices. I hope others can give better details besides me liking them. Jandy seems to be reliable (I'm sure hoping that holds true) but I can understand your trepidation given the consultant's r'ship with the seller. Just my .02, when hiring an electrician it would be helpful if they have done pools before. I feel like it would make for a smoother part of the job.

One of the things I've learned from this forum is as far as cartridge filters, bigger is better because it requires less work, you don't have to clean it as often. So you might want to look at the Jandy 580 and compare prices.

I like what I see so far!

Do some checking with the different equipment places. Most will extend your warranty if you buy at least 3 pieces of equipment from them. worth checking into.

I love the contrasting colors for the decking!

Thanks for letting us help you spend your money!

Kim

Haha actually saving me money . Only been here a day and got In touch with awesome owner builder on here. Has been a great help so far. Just steering me in right direction first off. A lot of stress relieved so far in just one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your second light should be we
Here the auto fill is and you should have a small light or two on the sunshelf
I ground cleaning sounds great but is just something more to go wrong. Save the money and get a robot. Compared to inground they cost nothing to operate.

If you are going to have any automation you don't want to buy off the internet. Buy from a distributor. They will set up and you get an extended warranty.

Gwegan I have a light on sun shelf and below not sure where you talking bout. Please explain that's why im here to get it right first time. As for cleaning system we debated and yes more to go wrong but we don't want to pull cleaner in and out I'm getting lazy jk. Actually we are worried with cleaner in and dogs getting in and out may get tangled in hose when not home. As for automation not sure what you mean? Is that the panel? Still all new to me googling it right now?

The only comment I will make is that there are very mixed reviews about in floor cleaning systems. They seem very nice on paper, but for many getting them ot work as designed/described is difficult. A few people absolutely love them and many people wish they never got them. There does not seem to be a great number of folks in the middle who are just happy. I would probably nix that from the plan and budget a nice robot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh what a process. Big thanks to QuingGuy for getting me in right direction with subs. So far love the ones he gave me . Found a few other I'm checking with. A lot of emails out today for bids and more tomorrow. We are rolling now lol

Need help deciding on pool finish? Was leaning towards a Quartz. Was talked out of it during design for a tinted plaster. Looking for the Tahoe blue color look. I think we can achieve the color with plaster look but concerned about how big wet deck is and won't notice color in that area. Will just look like plain ol plaster.

It seems agreed around here that quartz lasts longer than plaster, and pebble lasts longer than quartz (all things being equal and assuming proper water chemistry.) You pay more for each step up in longevity, though overall it can be worth it. Texture is an issue for some people as the surfaces get rougher as you go up.

I've read that quartz can be more finicky at startup and can have more obvious streaking and mottling, and that pebble is more forgiving in that regard. Colored plaster can have similar concerns, I understand. So unless you love the smoothness of the plaster, you might consider upgrading to quartz or pebble for a more interesting surface texture and color.

I've read with a pool with not a wet deck and not so many benches colored plaster is a cheaper way to go and get great color. Then was brought to my attention with all of my wet deck area and benches color will not be so obvious which is with any finish. Problem is now just going to be looking at a plaster pool foot deep with no character or pop.

Problem is now just going to be looking at a plaster pool foot deep with no character or pop.

That would be our pool. :D We have lots of benches (maybe 45' worth). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You do need to understand what you value and what your eye appreciates. Colored plaster will be mottled and create interesting patterns. Good for some (us) not so much for others. I expect to refinish our pool once during our remaining time here 30+ years (if the Lord is willing). So I'll try to get close to 20 years out of the plaster with diligent water quality maintenance and do it then. Maybe I'll splurge in my golden years. I splurged enough already in my current years.

- - - Updated - - -

This is basic color of cool deck. Lit tan around most with accent dark around edge
789f99e75737a3899e4e1f6be9f9a75a.jpg

I REALLY like that look in a cool deck finish. It's interpretation of coping solves the issue for me with cantilever decking. My eye prefers to see coping as that boundary for the water.

That would be our pool. :D We have lots of benches (maybe 45' worth). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You do need to understand what you value and what your eye appreciates. Colored plaster will be mottled and create interesting patterns. Good for some (us) not so much for others. I expect to refinish our pool once during our remaining time here 30+ years (if the Lord is willing). So I'll try to get close to 20 years out of the plaster with diligent water quality maintenance and do it then. Maybe I'll splurge in my golden years. I splurged enough already in my current years.

- - - Updated - - -

I REALLY like that look in a cool deck finish. It's interpretation of coping solves the issue for me with cantilever decking. My eye prefers to see coping as that boundary for the water.

Thanks. We saw it and thought would be a nice way to break it up a little. Tile in pool is tan. Our existing patio is a darker brown so it will all flow we hope.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.