Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 27 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: New O/B Las Vegas needs help lol

1. Back To Top    #1

New O/B Las Vegas needs help lol

GROSS OUT ALERT PAGE 9 you have been warned lol. Can take pictures down if not allowed. Me and my wife have been wanting a pool for a while. We tried to hire a PB but wasn't happy with interviews and prices. We decided to owner build and found consultant that said would make it easy for us and cheap to use him. I won't go into detail it's a long read but basically told us 2000 for services and would have to buy our equipment through him. Now as we have started it is over $4000 and growing if would continue to use him. We have decided against this and are now here. Can explain more in private message if anyone wants to know details just to long to write.
    So we have a drawing and engineering which we over paid but o well we are here and it is now lessoned learned.
    Here is little info on pool and where we are at. Pool didn't have no raised ledges because back of pool backs up to neighbors and a road. Raising around pool would allow for our dogs to be higher up to top of wall and worried they may jump
    over. We have no kids living at home as they are all grown and moved out. So building a pool to do laps in wasn't our concern. We were looking for more of a relaxing entertaining pool. The reason for steps on deep end was because we also have a little dog that loves to swim and would know where to get out of if fell in. I also have had multiple knee surgeries so wanted easy access to spa. We are doing a semi sunken portable spa not a concrete one.
    Some ideas ours and some suggested so have no idea what is right and wrong.

36.5 x 16.7 pool with 14ft of wet deck with plaster tint finish. 1 foot deep wet deck and benches. 3.5 deep in shallow and 5.5 in deep. Approx 17000 gallons we are told. Not sure of tint in plaster yet. Wanted Quartz but talked out of it so would like feedback on that. Inground cleaning system with 2 skimmer. 3 led lights. Lots of decking with spray deck.

All equipment recommended Jandy because guys friend sells it we found out. We are open to others but have no idea what's better or not.
    Jandy 2.0 variable speed pump
    Jandy 460 cartridge filter
    Jandy salt system 1400
    No heater but solar stubbed
    Need a good brand of led lights to buy
    Need a good Inground system to buy
    Need subs contractor list
    Just need HELP lol jk
    We will get this done in time I'm sure. Just scary thought of doing it but it will get done.
    16.5x37 free firm Gunite pool with 14 foot wet deck. Wet edge satin matrix Aqua blue pebble finish. Pentair 2hp variable pump. Pentair 540 cartridge filter. Pentair salt system. Pentair led lights 2 large 1 small. Intellibrite 5g controller. 1200sqft concrete decking.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New O/B Las Vegas needs help lol

I like the stairs in the deep end too, especially how they are on the outside of the perimeter rather than intruding into the pool area. I can't really help to much except to say I have a Jandy cart filter too (c360 so I think it's smaller?). I really like it. Takes a while to clean but it's only twice per year (first year will be more due to so much from construction). I also have Jandy led lights (2) and I love the color choices. I hope others can give better details besides me liking them. Jandy seems to be reliable (I'm sure hoping that holds true) but I can understand your trepidation given the consultant's r'ship with the seller. Just my .02, when hiring an electrician it would be helpful if they have done pools before. I feel like it would make for a smoother part of the job.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

3. Back To Top    #3

One of the things I've learned from this forum is as far as cartridge filters, bigger is better because it requires less work, you don't have to clean it as often. So you might want to look at the Jandy 580 and compare prices.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

4. Back To Top    #4

This is basic color of cool deck. Lit tan around most with accent dark around edge

16.5x37 free firm Gunite pool with 14 foot wet deck. Wet edge satin matrix Aqua blue pebble finish. Pentair 2hp variable pump. Pentair 540 cartridge filter. Pentair salt system. Pentair led lights 2 large 1 small. Intellibrite 5g controller. 1200sqft concrete decking.

5. Back To Top    #5

I like what I see so far!

Do some checking with the different equipment places. Most will extend your warranty if you buy at least 3 pieces of equipment from them. worth checking into.

I love the contrasting colors for the decking!

Thanks for letting us help you spend your money!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Haha actually saving me money . Only been here a day and got In touch with awesome owner builder on here. Has been a great help so far. Just steering me in right direction first off. A lot of stress relieved so far in just one day.

7. Back To Top    #7

That's what we try to do!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Your second light should be we
    Here the auto fill is and you should have a small light or two on the sunshelf
    I ground cleaning sounds great but is just something more to go wrong. Save the money and get a robot. Compared to inground they cost nothing to operate.

If you are going to have any automation you don't want to buy off the internet. Buy from a distributor. They will set up and you get an extended warranty.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

Gwegan I have a light on sun shelf and below not sure where you talking bout. Please explain that's why im here to get it right first time. As for cleaning system we debated and yes more to go wrong but we don't want to pull cleaner in and out I'm getting lazy jk. Actually we are worried with cleaner in and dogs getting in and out may get tangled in hose when not home. As for automation not sure what you mean? Is that the panel? Still all new to me googling it right now?

10. Back To Top    #10

The only comment I will make is that there are very mixed reviews about in floor cleaning systems. They seem very nice on paper, but for many getting them ot work as designed/described is difficult. A few people absolutely love them and many people wish they never got them. There does not seem to be a great number of folks in the middle who are just happy. I would probably nix that from the plan and budget a nice robot.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Brandwylie,
    QuingGuy said that you (sorry if not you) were sent a PM to me , sorry , I checked and have not received your msg . Please resend it if you still want to say something to me . Thanks

12. Back To Top    #12

Ya it was me. I sent you a pm. Thanks

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Brandwylie View Post
    Ya it was me. I sent you a pm. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please check your TFP's Inbox. Thanks

14. Back To Top    #14

Oh what a process. Big thanks to QuingGuy for getting me in right direction with subs. So far love the ones he gave me . Found a few other I'm checking with. A lot of emails out today for bids and more tomorrow. We are rolling now lol

15. Back To Top    #15

Need help deciding on pool finish? Was leaning towards a Quartz. Was talked out of it during design for a tinted plaster. Looking for the Tahoe blue color look. I think we can achieve the color with plaster look but concerned about how big wet deck is and won't notice color in that area. Will just look like plain ol plaster.

16. Back To Top    #16

It seems agreed around here that quartz lasts longer than plaster, and pebble lasts longer than quartz (all things being equal and assuming proper water chemistry.) You pay more for each step up in longevity, though overall it can be worth it. Texture is an issue for some people as the surfaces get rougher as you go up.

I've read that quartz can be more finicky at startup and can have more obvious streaking and mottling, and that pebble is more forgiving in that regard. Colored plaster can have similar concerns, I understand. So unless you love the smoothness of the plaster, you might consider upgrading to quartz or pebble for a more interesting surface texture and color.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

17. Back To Top    #17

I've read with a pool with not a wet deck and not so many benches colored plaster is a cheaper way to go and get great color. Then was brought to my attention with all of my wet deck area and benches color will not be so obvious which is with any finish. Problem is now just going to be looking at a plaster pool foot deep with no character or pop.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Problem is now just going to be looking at a plaster pool foot deep with no character or pop.
    That would be our pool. We have lots of benches (maybe 45' worth). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You do need to understand what you value and what your eye appreciates. Colored plaster will be mottled and create interesting patterns. Good for some (us) not so much for others. I expect to refinish our pool once during our remaining time here 30+ years (if the Lord is willing). So I'll try to get close to 20 years out of the plaster with diligent water quality maintenance and do it then. Maybe I'll splurge in my golden years. I splurged enough already in my current years.

- - - Updated - - -

This is basic color of cool deck. Lit tan around most with accent dark around edge
    I REALLY like that look in a cool deck finish. It's interpretation of coping solves the issue for me with cantilever decking. My eye prefers to see coping as that boundary for the water.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

19. Back To Top    #19

New O/B Las Vegas needs help lol

Wow bids are coming in and I am actually shocked at how far apart some of these prices are. Doing our research on each before choosing but can't see how they can be that far apart.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    That would be our pool. We have lots of benches (maybe 45' worth). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You do need to understand what you value and what your eye appreciates. Colored plaster will be mottled and create interesting patterns. Good for some (us) not so much for others. I expect to refinish our pool once during our remaining time here 30+ years (if the Lord is willing). So I'll try to get close to 20 years out of the plaster with diligent water quality maintenance and do it then. Maybe I'll splurge in my golden years. I splurged enough already in my current years.

- - - Updated - - -

I REALLY like that look in a cool deck finish. It's interpretation of coping solves the issue for me with cantilever decking. My eye prefers to see coping as that boundary for the water.
    Thanks. We saw it and thought would be a nice way to break it up a little. Tile in pool is tan. Our existing patio is a darker brown so it will all flow we hope.

Page 1 of 27 123411 ... LastLast