Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner

I have to update my signature but we have a new inground pool we had put in this past fall. I have a swg but have not installed it yet. I bought the test kit you folks recommended. My question is what chemicals do I need to buY to make adjustments to the water chemistry when the nice weather rolls in?
    For example baking soda, ph up, ph down, what do I buy to adjust ph, calcium, etc?
    Is there a list of things I should buy for balancing? Is there a place online I can get it all?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner

You can buy most everything you need at Walmart. Reading Pool School over and over will answer all your questions!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Your first step should be to determine what and how much you need. If you don't test first, you will waste a lot of money.

So break out that test kit and tun the tests and post the results up here......that's the first step.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Cool, will do. I assume get it balanced then install the swg? The skimmers still have the liner over them, they have to cut out the liner around it when they open the pool. Can I install the cell and flow switch but not hook it up to the chlorinator box before they open it up since there's no water in the plumbing?

5. Back To Top    #5

Congrats on the new pool!

Start here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you

7. Back To Top    #7

Any response to my question about installing the swg cell?

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, it will be fine. It is sitting in the box without water in it. Mine was installed for weeks without water.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes its in the box, so I can install just tge cell before they open up the pool?

10. Back To Top    #10

Sure.
    TFP Moderator