Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: autocover use

1. Back To Top    #1

autocover use

Our pool builder told us to keep our auto-cover off for at least 2 hours every day. I am curious what the disadvantages are to keeping the cover on in relation to the PH, TA, FC etc.? Our pool gets full sun for about 7-8 hours a day, so I am guessing that would help keep the chlorine consumption down if the pool is covered when not in use.
    18x36 ft
    19,000 gal IG vinyl
    Sand filter Tagelus 24"
    1HP Whisper Flo Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: autocover use

Sunlight helps breakdown CC's, so that might have something to do with his recommendation. He made it but didn't explain why?

Is it a mesh-type cover? Does the air/rain flow thru?

I think there is something about air-tight covers that don't allow outgassing and can cause PH to drop, but I'm not 100% on that or if it would apply to your situation.

I keep my solar cover on when not in use...never had any issues with it.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

This would probably be considered an air-tight cover. It is made from heavy vinyl and is a darker blue color. Is a solar cover mesh?
    18x36 ft
    19,000 gal IG vinyl
    Sand filter Tagelus 24"
    1HP Whisper Flo Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Pools need sunlight and they need to breathe There are various chemical reactions that take place as part of chlorine breaking down contaminates that require sunlight and gas exchange at the surface of the pool. If you leave the pool covered for too long the CC level will often go up and some of the chemistry can get a little out of balance. I generally tell people to leave it open something like four hours a week with sunlight, rather than two hours a day, but it is the same idea.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School