Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this a check valve?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this a check valve?

Hello, in addition to the circular Jandy check valve that we have in our plumbing, there is another see-thru component that now leaks (sprays, actually) water when I backwash the filter. I have attached a picture. Is this another check valve? To fix, can I loosen up the barrel nuts and take this thing off and replace it without too much trouble?

Thank you,
    Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12000 gal IG pool/spa combo,60 sq ft Jandy DEL filter,2 hp Jandy Stealth pump,Jandy LX400 400K BTU gas heater,Pentair Rainbow 300 off-line feeder (never gets used),Jandy Aqualink RS4 with PDA remote,3 Jandy 12" sheer descent waterfall features, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this a check valve?

Good question. I am going to watch this one to learn with you.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I looks to me like someone rigged up a sight glass on your waste line. There would not be a need for a check valve on a waste line since the only time it is on is when you are backwashing the filter. Unless you are backwashing into another pool there is no source of water to be siphoned up through the waste line when it is off.

I think you can just remove the cracked piece and re-connect the waste line and it should be fine.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

It's a Hayward in-line sight glass. They make a 2" model and a 1.5" model.

It looks like the 1.5" model (part SP1072S). The 1.5" model has 3 bolts.

The 2" model is part number SP1074S. The 2" model has 4 bolts.

The glass part number is SPX0072D for both. However, it would be better to get the whole part for a few dollars more so that you get the bolts and gaskets, too.

The end pieces are glued. If you remove the bolts, you can remove the glass (I think that it's actually acrylic) and replace it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you very much! I didn't think there would be any point to a check valve there, but I wasn't sure what else it could be. I wasn't aware components were installed for sight purposes only. I have no idea what happened to make this thing fail, but now I know what to do with it. Thanks again for the helpful information!

Greg
    12000 gal IG pool/spa combo,60 sq ft Jandy DEL filter,2 hp Jandy Stealth pump,Jandy LX400 400K BTU gas heater,Pentair Rainbow 300 off-line feeder (never gets used),Jandy Aqualink RS4 with PDA remote,3 Jandy 12" sheer descent waterfall features, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robotic cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

The reason is so that you can observe the waste water while backwashing to see how dirty the water is and to know when the backwash is complete.

It can also be helpful in checking for leaks in a hard plumbed waste line.

The crack in the glass might be from freeze damage.

7. Back To Top    #7

That makes perfect sense, checking out the waste water while backwashing. My backwash line drains into a sewer cleanout on the side of the house, and I can see the water gushing out of the pipe down into a manifold that was added to the cleanout. So I've always observed the waste water there and didn't even think about observing it using the sight glass.