Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Caulk for Pool Area?

1. Back To Top    #1

Conroe, TX

Best Caulk for Pool Area?

One of many dumb questions to expect from me...

My 14,000 gal. in-ground pool is surrounded by a stone tile border which is then edged with a large area of concrete/pebble-paving.

The joint where the pool border meets the concrete pebble paving seems to be opening up due to (I guess) some settling (the pool was installed in 2004 when the house was new).

For this area that sees lots of water splash, is there a "best" type of caulk to fill that gap with? It's about 1/2" wide now where it was probably about 1/4" by design when built. I would suppose that whatever is used should be a flexible material but should stand up to long-term water, sun, and movement during temperature and underneath soil saturation changes as the seasons go by.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Best Caulk for Pool Area?

Yes, pool decks move at different rates than pools do. One well known brand is deck-o-seal.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Best Caulk for Pool Area?

1/2" is a wide gap for caulk. You may need some backer rod for filler. Lowes and HD both have it.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School