Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The Pool I Never Wanted

1. Back To Top    #1

The Pool I Never Wanted

Recently retired, never had a pool, didn't want a pool, but...

Wife and I bought our retirement home last month that we REALLY liked and on beautiful 3/4 acre lot. The price was right even with a great looking pool, so now I have a pool to maintain that I never really wanted. Looking so forward to having more to do in my retirement.

So I'm here because I know nothing about pools but need to... quickly, before it gets out of control.

Expect many really dumb questions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The Pool I Never Wanted

We love questions, even dumb ones! Ask away, and get yourself a good testkit so we can help!

Pool School - Test Kits Compared

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the new pool. I didn't want a pool either. I lost. Now, 3+ years later, I love my pool and maintenance is a breeze.

Get at TF100 test kit from TFTestkits.net. While you wait for it start reading this, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

You can also add your pool info to your signature as you get it figured out. It will help us to help you with better info specific to your pool. More here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I SO understand where you are coming from! I did NOT want a pool. We did not look at houses with pools at all BUT this was the purrfect house and property BUT it had a pool I know LOVE the pool! After I found TFP it is a snap!

We have you covered!

Start a thread in "just getting started" to ask all of your questions. Keeping most of your questions in one thread will help us all help you!

Hugs!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You have come to the right place. Listen to the expert advice here, and take what they tell you at the pool store with a grain of salt.
    16K gallon IG exposed aggregate pool with Aquarite SWG T15 cell, Hayward C1750 filter, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, H400FD pool/spa heater, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump, 280 pressure cleaner, Hayward Super II spa pump and Air Supply Silencer spa blower

6. Back To Top    #6

Before we get too far down this road, just tell me you (or someone) is putting chlorine in the pool on a regular basis.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Before we get too far down this road, just tell me you (or someone) is putting chlorine in the pool on a regular basis.
    Well.. who knows?

We bought this house and closed on it right at Christmas a couple of weeks ago.
    The owner "seemed" to be taking good care of it since the water was clean and clear, and I saw that he did have some chlorine tabs in it (but in the skimmer which I quickly found out was something not to do).
    I took a sample to Leslies where I was told something about there being enough chlorine, but maybe not, because some other value was too high. But he said to leave it for now and just watch it.
    Fast forward a couple of weeks (to just last week) and I took another sample in and the numbers were the same so he said to not leave chlorine in it for a couple of days.

Anyway, it's a work in progress, and I at least bought a floater for the chlorine instead of using the skimmer. The previous owner had just replaced the main pump, and I'm told that his putting chlorine directly in the skimmer was probably the reason why.

I just ordered the TFT100 test kit so I can keep an eye on things myself as I continue to learn the chemistry of things, but the pool does appear to be not terribly out of spec for now.

I guess I should include a pic of the pool so people can see what I'm working with. It's a 14,000 gal. pool about 5' deep overall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

Good job on ordering the TF-100. Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. So, just remember - mixing pool store advice/testing with TFP methods is just another recipe for disaster.

I would rather see too much chlorine than too little. It's easy to let the chlorine level drop back down to where it should be when you get your kit. it's hard to clean up a full blown algae bloom.

I know some of this has been said before, but how much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Very nice! I only use triclor pucks in floater when my CYA level is low (such as partial drain/refill).
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

10. Back To Top    #10

Pretty pool and area!

I can't wait to see what your tests show.

My guess----------high CYA and CH.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit