Re-do Pool Timer/Control System

FlyAU98

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I need to re-do the electrical around my pool pump. I have a rotted out box with what amounts to be a light switch that turns off the power to my timer/pump. It won't take a switch cover at all. Its just taped up with electrical tape now.

The box for my intermatic timer is also rusted up and no longer has a latch, so its just closed with a wire.

I've got an electrician friend that is going to do the work for me, but I'm wondering if there is a reason to upgrade or change my setup.

The pool doesn't have anything fancy that needs to be controlled. Just the single speed pump (controlled by the intermatic mechanical timer, separate solar heater controller and a single incandescent pool light (controlled from a wall switch inside my living room).

I will probably have the electrician add an outlet (110v or 220v?) so I can hook up a stenner pump for the chlorine. I prepared my pipes for it after a pike leak last year.

What is the best way to move forward? I'm not really interested in replacing my pump right now. Both pool stores I use suggested I had a great pump and should just replace the motor last time it failed.

Do I put in a new mechanical Intermatic timer or should I use on of their electronic ones (or something else)? What about putting the outlet on a separate timer for the stenner pump?

Basically...what would you do if you could start over from scratch controlling a basic pool setup?

Since you only have a pool it's pretty basic and simple. Yes go for the Intermatic or some brand of digital timer. Seeing as the stenner's should only be running when the pump is on, tie them into the timer as well.

If and when your pump motor starts to fail or dies completely, consider having it rebuilt with a 2-speed motor. Even if your electric rates are reasonably low, a 2-speed motor is almost always better than a single speed in terms of filtration efficiency and energy use. If that sounds like something you would consider doing, then now would be the time to upgrade the electrical at your pad so that adding a 2-speed motor in the future is just a drop-in replacement and not another project involving an electrician running wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I thought about the 2-speed pump when my motor went out last time. I couldn't find a straight answer about the 2 speed (or variable speed for that matter) pumping adequately for the solar on the roof. I like keeping the pool warm, so pump is pushing though to the roof most of the time its running.

What do I need to do differently NOW to prepare for 2-speed/variable in the FUTURE?

How about a photo? From your description I'm guessing that in it's current configuration it does not meet current codes. Does it have to meet current codes? Probably not, but it is good practice when doing work to upgrade if at all possible.

I have some questions:

How old is the pool?

How many circuits are at the equipment pad?

What size wire supplies power to the pad?

Where are the current breakers supping the pool equipment? How many breakers?

From your description it almost sounds like there is one circuit supplying power for everything.

I'll get a photo as soon as I can make it home before the sun goes down :)

I don't know how old the pool is. It appears to be present in a 2002 Google Earth image, previous images are too unclear to decipher. I imagine it is a mid-to-late 1980s or early 90s pool that has been redone along the way. Online permit info doesn't go much past the early 2000s.

The pool related breakers are inside my garage, opposite side of the house from the pump pad. The share a breaker panel with the rest of the house.
-20amp breaker 220v circuit to the pump
-15 amp breaker 110v circuit that appears to be dedicated to the pool light. The light circuit is switched inside my house (a fair distance from the pump pad) and connects to a transformer at the pump pad to feed the 12v incandescent light.

I have no idea what the wire sizes are.

All I have electrical is the light, pump, and the controller for the solar valve. There are no electrical outlets/plugs at the pump pad.

Without significant other work (hot tub, complete pool remodel, etc), the future could hold:
-Stenner pump for Chlorine (likely)
-Dual or Variable Speed Pump (maybe next time, as long as it can keep my solar heat going)
-Salt Generator (less likely, but I wouldn't object to being ready for it)
-Robot cleaner (I have 2 existing outlets on the pool deck it could plug in to)

The power line enters the house closer to the pump pad than the breaker box, so if more power were required for some reason, perhaps its possible to peel power off at the entry point and install an outdoor rated breaker box or something?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.