First test results are in - Pool Store Tests are different

Hello Everyone. So a little back story, pool was completed in November and after the 2 week startup was done I had the start up company do weekly chemical service since I was traveling in Dec. I cancelled yesterday and assumed service today. Below are my TF-100 test results vs the pool store test results (looks like they used a giant Taylor kit marked service).

TF-100 / Pool Store
FC =5.5 / 3
PH = 8.2 / 7.8
TA = 140 / 120
CH = 375 / 290
CYA = 45 / 45
CC = 0 / 0

My main question is why is FC so different? Is it because I used a FAS/DPD and they just used the drops (I think its called OTO?) Also the service company came on Mondays, looks like I used almost no chlorine......Were they just making it super high to last a week?
What about the difference in Hardness?

Anyway I adjusted the PH this morning. looks like 16 oz of acid did the trick

Thanks

On the FC with the PS they for sure were making it REAL high to last the week.

The difference in the FC results would be the different tests. YOUR test is a lot more accurate!

As for the difference in Hardness.......I am not sure about that one but am willing to bet YOUR test is the correct one.

I am willing to bet they did not clean their tubes between pools.

Good job taking care of your pool!

Kim

On the FC with the PS they for sure were making it REAL high to last the week.

The difference in the FC results would be the different tests. YOUR test is a lot more accurate!

As for the difference in Hardness.......I am not sure about that one but am willing to bet YOUR test is the correct one.

I am willing to bet they did not clean their tubes between pools.

Good job taking care of your pool!

Kim

Thank You

You just joined last month, but if you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store part time, working too quickly or the employee just not wanting to be there you end up with poor results from their testing. In my case two different pool stores told me my CYA was "fine", around 70 or 80. When I tested myself I found it over 200. While some may be different, remember the pool store exists to make money for the owner, not to keep your pool nice. If you are ever bored, take multiple samples of the same water to several stores. Note the results they provide and the recommendations they make.

As an aside, there is no 45 on the CYA test. As the scale on the tube is not linear half way between 40 and 50 is not 45. For our purposes just round up to the next number on the scale. This will also match our published recommended levels ie, the CYA/FC chart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.