Automatic Chlorinator - How to tell if it is clogged

TarheelPool

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Burlington, NC
My pool was installed at the end of last season and running for about a month using BBB method and some pucks. This year it still had some of the pucks in the feeder from last season and they don't seem to be dissolving at the rate I think they should (in my very limited experience). The feeder is turned up to 5 which is the max. I am using the pucks to get my CYA up to 25-30. It was less than 20 using the K2006 test kit. How can I tell if the chlorinator is clogged and is this a common problem?

Thanks,

Tarheelpool

What kind of chlorinator is it? If it's a Rainbow 320, I think there's a flow indicator built into it.

Edit: actually, I just looked at mine and there's no flow indicator. That must be an option.

To check flow I'd:
- open it in accordance with the instructions printed on the side
- remove the remaining pucks
- close it up and run the pump with the chlorinator wide open for a few minutes
- shut the pump down and open the chlorinator up again
- dial the chlorinator control down to zero
- start the pump (with the chlorinator open)
- open the chlorinator control very slightly and check to see if the chorinator is filling up.

If it is, good. If not, I'd run it wide open but empty for a few days to see if that will unclog it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.