Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck drain, pool overflow issue!

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck drain, pool overflow issue!

My pool is still new and was completed in late July 2015. I have a 4" pvc drain pipe running from the patio down the side of my house out towards the street. Wednesday night we had severe rain and the pool overflowed and deck backed up. Mud got in the pool. Big mess. We came close to getting water in the house. There are 5 drains on the patio and an overflow drain on the pool as well. I have 2 gutters the pool builder ran into the same drain due to the location of the downspout. The drain cap is one of those NDS pop ups. Water was gushing so much the cap eventually blew off. I've never had issues before. None of the drains are blocked or clogged. Water just couldn't get out fast enough. I'm thinking the pop up drain cap initiated the problem due to restriction under heavy load. Once the rain let up everything drained off quick. Anyone ever have this kind of issue?
    14,000 gal IG
    Wet Edge Satin Matrix - Color North Shore Tahoe
    Hayward 4030
    Build June/July 2015
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deck drain, pool overflow issue!

SCARY and a mess I would be talking to your PB to see what he thinks. It seems to me there is just too many sources of water during a heavy rain event going to one, little pipe but I am not there when it is happening to really say.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Was the street flooded over your overflow pipes at curb? I have had this happen and water has no place to go. Also take that pop off cover off. I have one of those and works better off.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

4. Back To Top    #4

No flooding over the drain. The pop-up covers are rated for 40gpm. Going to leave it off when expecting heavy rain. Thanks!
    14,000 gal IG
    Wet Edge Satin Matrix - Color North Shore Tahoe
    Hayward 4030
    Build June/July 2015
    TF-100 test kit