In before the first shovel of dirt....

Jan 9, 2016
Rehobeth AL
Hello. Construction should start in 2 weeks. 16x32 Oasis, vinyl, ozone and chlor feeder.

I built pool several years ago in a different house and got totally worked over. Shoddy construction, terrible equipment, just awful. Decided this time would be different. Have a reputable pool contractor ad know just enough to be dangerous. Hope to post a build thread and document everything and learn from some of you.

Welcome to the forum Will :wave:

Time to order a good testing kit if you don't have one already. TF100 or k2006 recommended.

Love to see a build thread, we love show and tell.

Hello. Construction should start in 2 weeks. 16x32 Oasis, vinyl, ozone and chlor feeder.

I built pool several years ago in a different house and got totally worked over. Shoddy construction, terrible equipment, just awful. Decided this time would be different. Have a reputable pool contractor ad know just enough to be dangerous. Hope to post a build thread and document everything and learn from some of you.

Can you please post your build contract, i.e., the specifics of what you are building (you can leave pricing out)? I see two things already that concern me - an ozone system and a "chlor" feeder.

Ozone systems are typically unnecessary in a properly chlorinated swimming pool and, to be honest, most of the systems sold for residential pool are toys that barely generate enough ozone to be useful.

By "chlor" feeder I'll assume you mean a chlorine puck feeder which is an inline trichlor chlorine source. If you read our various articles in Pool School you will quickly see that we do not advocate the regular use of solid stabilized chlorine products (trichlor, dichlor and cal-hypo) as they build up unwanted chemicals in pool water (stabilizer or calcium) and those excess chemicals cause long term problems. We advocate the use of chlorinating liquid (aka, bleach) or the use of a salt-water chlorine generator system.

Good luck with your build,

Matt

Thanks. I have been back and forth on the ozone deal, and yes chlorine puck feeder. I have had a SWG pool before and it was nothing but trouble, shocking, corrosion etc. I have a close friend 1 year into his ozone/feeder pool and is maintenance free. Will be glad to post the contract. The Ozone model I am looking at is the Hayward, and he has the Paramount O3.

I am not morally opposed to SWG, just gun shy since my last experience was so bad.

ps I haven't signed the contract yet so hit me with all the info PLEASE!!

Will (I assume it's Will by your username),

See this thread for details about ozone.

Basically it's a waste of money, it is effectively useless in a low bather load outdoor residential pool and it doesn't do anything that chlorine itself will do. If you practice the TFPC method of pool care we teach here, then all of these gimmicks become useless.

The inline chlorinator will probably work out ok for you since AL gets a lot of rain. Dilution of your water with overflow can help to keep stabilizer levels within acceptable ranges.

I'm sorry you had such a bad go with the SWG. I have had mine for years and it works flawlessly. I'd venture to guess you either had a lousy unit or it was not installed properly. Many of us on TFP use SWGs without issue and wouldn't think twice about owning a pool without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Yes its Will. My neighbors now on both sides have SWG with no issues. I am reasonably confident my troubles were installation related, i.e. improper bonding. I will start researching the methods on here. I have not signed the contract yet, so I have some time. (a few days lol)

I agree with everything already said about the ozone and puck feeders. Sounds like you had a REALLY bad previous experience with SWG due to a lousy contractor. We'll be glad to help.

Let me tell you a little story!

This house had a pool. It was a foreclosed house/property so of course the pool was a mess. I did NOT want a pool but hey there is was. I got all of the leaves out (Boy was that a job!) then started trying to clear the water with the pool stores help. I spent MAJOR money and it did not clear. I ended up draining it most of the way to put new water in it and start all over.

We had that pool for about 3 years spending all kinds of money with the pool store. I was ALWAYS fighting algae and the water hurt our eyes. :( It was NOT a happy time for me. WAY too much work for very little enjoyment.

Well one day I noticed a crack in the liner while I was in the pool. WHAT??????? I moved my foot over and it just kept cracking! All of the water went rushing out......I was lucky to not go with it as I hopped on the side of the pool.

That was it NO more pool. I was so happy! Husband not so much. He kept trying to talk me into getting another pool. I told him if he could find a way for me to take care of the pool without using the pool store I would try it again.

Well he found TFP!. I ordered a test kit to make sure I could do it LOL. It was easy!

We ordered the pool, put it up AND we BOTH love it! LOL It really is a Trouble Free Pool!

Knowing what I know now I am guessing my PH and CYA was all messed up and ruined the liner :(

I spend less than 10 mins a day on my pool and a LOT less money now!

What I am telling you is that we can/will help you with your pool. TFP is based on science and thousands of daily users!

I hope this helps.

kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh poor Will :( I know what you mean. SO much to take in and think about.

Here is my idea.............do some digging where you think there might be a pool and see what you find. Maybe think about renting a digging toy to do it with. Just to see what is what.

Kim

I am still in the process of meeting with different contractors.... This is from one..

CT.jpg

This is the third contract they have sent, the first one basically said, Pool, salt and Decking. I have had to beg for details, equipment, model numbers.... Not impressed.

Thanks all. I started a new thread about vinyl vs concrete and then found three others on the same topic. I met with a new contractor today for concrete and they are much closer to the vinyl price. Also spoke with several realtors who all told me gunite sells easier and adds more to value. I do have dogs but am hoping to keep them out of the pool (hoping, yes hoping lol) My last liner pool there was a sudden equal and blew a chair into the pool which cut the liner. Insurance covered but was a huge pain. As I go back a read, I am convincing myself to go concrete aren't I?

- - - Updated - - -

This is the new contractors rendering. I have some issues with the shape and benches but its overall what I want.

pool.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support