Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: buy or build solar heater?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bruce Peninsula - Ontario

buy or build solar heater?

Does anyone have good plans for building a solar collector or should i buy a ready made one. Is the sungrabber any good? or any other recommendations?

20 X 40, 28000 gal IG cement bottom, steel sides, vinyl liner, Pentair 4X160 pump, sand filter, SWG, Titan heat pump, coluorlogic and fiber optic. concrete-exposed aggregate deck
    1 skimmer, main drain, 4 returns ( 2 in stairs ) JEWEL LIKE WATER thanks to TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: buy or build solar heater?

I would buy the standard 4x20 panels and then install them yourself. Standard solar panels are very efficient and quite inexpensive. It isn't practical to make anything with as good efficiency unless you use materials that cost more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Virginia Beach

Re: buy or build solar heater?

I have the sungrabbers and they work fine and are relatively inexpensive. I believe that they are approx 100ish per panel.
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter