Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: shop says I should just replace Pentair VS motor

1. Back To Top    #1

shop says I should just replace Pentair VS motor

I have a 2 year old Pentair VS Intellipro pump. Several days now, as the motor warms up over time, it starts making the noise. Having replaced many parts on my cars and generators, I am convinced, that the sound it produces is the front bearing heating up, and going out. Even at 2 years old.

I went to a local pump repair shop, they say since it's a Pentair VS, they recommend just getting a new motor, and they would swap it out for me. They, in their opinion, don't like to try to tear into a VS motor and repair it. One of the reasons given, along with others, is the circuit board for the VS. Just swap it out.

Need opinions on what the right course is. Thanks a million.
    mid 2014 12 X 30 12k gallons IG Plaster\Fl Gem Finish. StaRite\Pentair DE filter. StaRite\Pentair IntelliPro VS Pump. Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pump Unit. Intellichlor IC40 salt system (not up and running yet)
    Very hard well water-no iron. TF-100 Test Kit (the best)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: shop says I should just replace Pentair VS motor

I'd have real issues with any motor shop uncomfortable with opening up a motor, unless they know there are manufacturing flaws/issues with the product. IOW, they fix a bearing and 2 weeks later the board goes out and you want it fixed under their warranty.... their loss, though not the original problem.... speaking of.....

WARRANTIES: doesn't the IntelliPro pump have a 3 year warranty?

3. Back To Top    #3

ewkearns

thanks for the reply, yes your right about the warranty

get this, I talked to Pentair about the pump the other day even telling them the age, nothing was even said about the 3 yr

I send a email to my pool builder like here, asking their opinion, I immediately got a reply back about the 3 yr warrn. and they are going to be in the process of getting the company with the warranty people out to take care of it. great

thanks for the reply
    mid 2014 12 X 30 12k gallons IG Plaster\Fl Gem Finish. StaRite\Pentair DE filter. StaRite\Pentair IntelliPro VS Pump. Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pump Unit. Intellichlor IC40 salt system (not up and running yet)
    Very hard well water-no iron. TF-100 Test Kit (the best)

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Good deal you found out about the warranty and the builder is doing the leg work getting it swapped out.
    I hate to say it but I guess it was a good thing the re-builder wanted to try and sell you a new motor rather than repair yours.
    I don't think I'd bring any business to that shop in the future.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!