Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ozonator yes or no

1. Back To Top    #1

Ozonator yes or no

I,m intresting if jou guys advised the ozonator.

I,m using the dichloor then bleach methode

Is it real important, or is it better to disconnect.

It is using my chloor.
    My spa is 225 gallon (ca 900 ltr)
    Factory is Caldera
    Above ground
    6 months old now.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ozonator yes or no

do you have a way to have the ozonator ONLY run after a soak? If it just runs whenever the pump does, then you'll keep burning chlorine. If you can selectively use it, it would help with byproducts right after a soak.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Ozonator yes or no

Ozonators really only help if your spa has high bather loads and you need to oxidize a lot of bather waste. They can cut the amount of chlorine needed in half when oxidizing bather waste.

If your hot tub is not being used a lot or has low bather load (1 person or so per day), then the ozone will react with the chlorine and cause an FC demand.

If you are experiencing excessive chlorine demand, then try disconnecting it for a while to see what effect it has.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

We use THE spa with 2 persons 4 times a week
    and yes he is running 24 our a day, And i put in everyday 50 ml chlorine
    next day My chlorine is 1
    Factory is Caldera
    Above ground
    6 months old now.

5. Back To Top    #5

In a spa that is used regularly, an ozonator can have benefits, helping to oxidize some bather waste but with slower kill times than chlorine itself. In an infrequently used spa, it will slowly breakdown some of your FC whenever it runs. In a bromine spa, an ozonator can help oxidize bromide back into bromine so it is a better fit for bromine spas overall.

If you're using the spa often, I would leave the ozonator connected but try to set your pump to run after you've used it, but minimal run time when the spa is not in use to reduce the ozonator consuming some of your FC when bather waste is not present. Most ozonators run whenever the pump is running so that's the only way to control the ozonator run time. If you're only using the spa a couple times per week, I would disconnect the ozonator.

This also got me wondering, has anyone ever put a DIY or aftermarket switch on the ozonator power cable so that you could manually turn the ozonator on or off? Might be interesting... and difficult.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

This one is running 24 ours a day and cannot disable, it is a little separate pump running continuous
    Factory is Caldera
    Above ground
    6 months old now.

7. Back To Top    #7

I read a bit of the manual that is likely for your spa. What you could do to limit run time of the pumps and thereby the ozonator, is to activate the Summer Timer feature. This turns off the pumps for an 8 hour period every day. From the manual:

Summer Timer
    Your spa is equipped with a summer timer. The summer timer can be activated during hot summer months to maintain water temperature. Activating the summer timer
    causes the heater to immediately shut down. The circulation pump will remain on for approximately 5 minutes pushing water through the heater to cool it down. Both
    heater and circulation pump will then remain off for eight hours. The summer timer icon will be displayed on the main control panel and will remain displayed for as long
    as the summer timer mode is on. The circulation pump and heater will automatically shut down for the same eight hours every day until the summer timer is deactivated.
    It is recommended to activate the summer timer in the morning so that the spa is off during the hottest part of the day and so that the circulation pump will start up again
    in the evening when you are ready to enjoy the spa.

I would try this, specifically enabling the timer at time when you won't likely be using the spa for 10-12 hours but not right after a soak, because that's when you need circulation the most. If you usually soak in the evening, turn on the Summer Timer early in the morning and see how it works out. Depending on outdoor temperatures, this may lead to cooler than desired temps by the evening, but I would try it to see how it works.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

You should also be aware that most ozonators quit producing ozone even if the power light is still lit after a couple of years, some newer models are lasting longer, and a few even have indicator that show ozone is being produced.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for helping
    Factory is Caldera
    Above ground
    6 months old now.