Chemicals Used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2015
Rochester Ny
Moderator Note: This was moved from here Bestway (Intex?) AGP in garage, full year solution for heat wanted.

One thing I got put into a learning curve with was the differences the chemical operation temperatures are different in a pool then the chemicals that are used in a hot tub and the chemicals and test kit are also.

For example a pool use a floater that use dissolving chlorine tablets, a hot tub uses something similar but smaller but you don't use chlorine tablets rather bromide tablets instead. which for my Intex pool I use 'once weekly' and for the hot tub I use 'Spa Perfect'.

Giving the water volume differences you will have to manually calculate the chemicals you will have to use, the basket of chemicals for my pool is completely different than the basket for the hot tub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Bestway (Intex?) AGP in garage, full year solution for heat wanted.

One thing I got put into a learning curve with was the differences the chemical operation temperatures are different in a pool then the chemicals that are used in a hot tub and the chemicals and test kit are also.

For example a pool use a floater that use dissolving chlorine tablets, a hot tub uses something similar but smaller but you don't use chlorine tablets rather bromide tablets instead. which for my Intex pool I use 'once weekly' and for the hot tub I use 'Spa Perfect'.

Giving the water volume differences you will have to manually calculate the chemicals you will have to use, the basket of chemicals for my pool is completely different than the basket for the hot tub.
Not to derail the OP's thread, but this is not entirely correct. Many folks here use the same chemicals for a spa as they do for their pool. Nor do we generally advocate "specialty" chemicals like Spa Perfect as maintaining the proper sanitizer levels will suffice.

How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Not to derail the OP's thread, but this is not entirely correct. Many folks here use the same chemicals for a spa as they do for their pool. Nor do we generally advocate "specialty" chemicals like Spa Perfect as maintaining the proper sanitizer levels will suffice.

How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

I agree with Tim on this. The OP needs to spend some serious time in PoolSchool learning water chemistry.

This pool is NOT an outdoor pool. It will dark and covered for most of the day. Algae probably will not be a huge factor in this pool BUT bather waste and bacteria will be a HUGE problem. This water likely won't go green but it can easily become toxic and smelly. The wrong chemical choices will exacerbate the problem.

And, a proper test kit IS A MUST. Strips and pool store testing will not help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Wasn't trying to derail anything rather adding to the discussion that if you actually look at what I use, one might assume like I did that one could be used instead of the other which if one actually reads the spec sheet and compare them, one is used in cool water and is has a lower working temperature range and different chemical ingredients than the other. Two different treatments because of the water temperatures.

Two days is alls it took to thrust me into the learning curve when I took off my hot tub cover just to find it 'cooked' the pool treatment in to 'pea soup'.

Wasn't trying to derail anything rather adding to the discussion that if you actually look at what I use, one might assume like I did that one could be used instead of the other which if one actually reads the spec sheet and compare them, one is used in cool water and is has a lower working temperature range and different chemical ingredients than the other. Two different treatments because of the water temperatures.

Two days is alls it took to thrust me into the learning curve when I took off my hot tub cover just to find it 'cooked' the pool treatment in to 'pea soup'.
What we are trying to say is that the methods taught here a different than the industry teaches. Many here use chlorine in their spa with no problems. How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Ok, back up for a minute from your keyboard, here or there .... What is your objective as a moderator when a member just mentions that a operative temperature for chemicals in different water temperatures Is something to pay attention to causes you to responded like that this?

Using them, and fixing them after is the question, treating a hot tub like a pool will cake and bake the flow and temp sensors.

Ok, back up for a minute from your keyboard, here or there .... What is your objective as a moderator when a member just mentions that a operative temperature for chemicals in different water temperatures Is something to pay attention to causes you to responded like that this?

Using them, and fixing them after is the question, treating a hot tub like a pool will cake and bake the flow and temp sensors.
Our objective is to teach pool/spa care based on science.

Your comment that "treating a hot tub like a pool will cake and bake the flow and temp sensors." is not true. Many of our members (myself included) treat our spas with the exact same chemicals as we do our pools. And when we talk about chemicals we are mainly talking about chlorine.

To quote Dave, Site Owner of TFP:
Throughout TFP, you will read that we suggest certain levels that good science and practical experience has taught us fall within safe ranges.

Further reading of posts here will draw you to the inescapable conclusion that these guidelines work.......in thousands and thousands of pools worldwide.

You may or may not choose to use these methods and guidelines or you may use some and not others. Our goal is to teach you what has been proven time and time again and then let you use that information to your benefit.

Again, as a new member here I recommend you read through Pool School.

If, you might want to take something like this to a 'PM' instead of grab and drag in public view, seems the members are not allowed to have an objective opinion, is that the case? Have had 5 pools (upgrades over the 13 years) and 2 two hot tubs (one regular and now a portable both where broken due to Previous Owners neglect which I have DIYed\repaired ALL and upgraded myself) which just noticing both a pool and a hot tub only have one thing in common and that is the water, the differences in the equipment, sensors and variable speed pumps are problems 'down stream' that can be effected by water temperature and chemicals that are used to treat the common water, one isn't the other which a new member being objective to this caused this to be our meet and greet, serious? Seems you drop the ball on that old thread about the pump failure on the Intex Pure Spa hot tub pump replacement.

Want a photo essay and parts list to DIY that fix and how to remove and clean the flow and temperature sensor(s) during the upgrade for your library for you know next time?

I have used my TF100 test kit and bleach, borax and muriatic acid to maintain my hot tub for over two years with no issues whatsoever. In fact, the water is so nice that I have only drained and refilled three times and it really didn't need it. Our water is consistently very nice and the tub is used at least several times per week.

......one might assume like I did that one could be used instead of the other which if one actually reads the spec sheet and compare them, one is used in cool water and is has a lower working temperature range and different chemical ingredients than the other. Two different treatments because of the water temperatures.

What you say is true, as far as it goes. Chlorine is used rapidly at high temperatures. Bromine can just "go to sleep" and must be reawakened. However, if you wrap your head around both chemistries, chlorine can be employed in a spa and bromine can be used in a pool not open to the rays of the sun. The difference is how you manage the effects.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This has nothing to do with a "grab and drag" but simply that you will be challenged when you make statements like "cake and bake." Further, no one said to treat the Spa EXACTLY as you would a pool, merely that the same (or some of) the same chemicals are used. There are very specific methods for Spa Treatment here, and they differ from pools in Significant ways. There is nothing in the methodology we teach regarding pools or spas will destroy sensors or any other equipment. Quite the opposite in fact. You are absolutely entitled to your own opinion, but when you state it as fact, you are going to be challenged.

Chemistry aside, it's your commentary and tone toward here that concerns me. We run a friendly forum, and disrespectful, snide, or insulting comments will not be tolerated whether they are made to moderators or any other members.

This discussion is over-Do not reopen the argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.