Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Chemicals Used

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rochester Ny
    Posts
    14

    Chemicals Used

    Moderator Note: This was moved from here Bestway (Intex?) AGP in garage, full year solution for heat wanted.


    One thing I got put into a learning curve with was the differences the chemical operation temperatures are different in a pool then the chemicals that are used in a hot tub and the chemicals and test kit are also.

    For example a pool use a floater that use dissolving chlorine tablets, a hot tub uses something similar but smaller but you don't use chlorine tablets rather bromide tablets instead. which for my Intex pool I use 'once weekly' and for the hot tub I use 'Spa Perfect'.

    Giving the water volume differences you will have to manually calculate the chemicals you will have to use, the basket of chemicals for my pool is completely different than the basket for the hot tub.





  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,499

    Re: Bestway (Intex?) AGP in garage, full year solution for heat wanted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Houston144 View Post
    One thing I got put into a learning curve with was the differences the chemical operation temperatures are different in a pool then the chemicals that are used in a hot tub and the chemicals and test kit are also.

    For example a pool use a floater that use dissolving chlorine tablets, a hot tub uses something similar but smaller but you don't use chlorine tablets rather bromide tablets instead. which for my Intex pool I use 'once weekly' and for the hot tub I use 'Spa Perfect'.

    Giving the water volume differences you will have to manually calculate the chemicals you will have to use, the basket of chemicals for my pool is completely different than the basket for the hot tub.
    Not to derail the OP's thread, but this is not entirely correct. Many folks here use the same chemicals for a spa as they do for their pool. Nor do we generally advocate "specialty" chemicals like Spa Perfect as maintaining the proper sanitizer levels will suffice.

    How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  3. Back To Top    #3
    JoyfulNoise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    11,625

    Re: Bestway (Intex?) AGP in garage, full year solution for heat wanted.

    Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Not to derail the OP's thread, but this is not entirely correct. Many folks here use the same chemicals for a spa as they do for their pool. Nor do we generally advocate "specialty" chemicals like Spa Perfect as maintaining the proper sanitizer levels will suffice.

    How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    I agree with Tim on this. The OP needs to spend some serious time in PoolSchool learning water chemistry.

    This pool is NOT an outdoor pool. It will dark and covered for most of the day. Algae probably will not be a huge factor in this pool BUT bather waste and bacteria will be a HUGE problem. This water likely won't go green but it can easily become toxic and smelly. The wrong chemical choices will exacerbate the problem.

    And, a proper test kit IS A MUST. Strips and pool store testing will not help.


    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rochester Ny
    Posts
    14

    Re: Bestway (Intex?) AGP in garage, full year solution for heat wanted.

    Wasn't trying to derail anything rather adding to the discussion that if you actually look at what I use, one might assume like I did that one could be used instead of the other which if one actually reads the spec sheet and compare them, one is used in cool water and is has a lower working temperature range and different chemical ingredients than the other. Two different treatments because of the water temperatures.

    Two days is alls it took to thrust me into the learning curve when I took off my hot tub cover just to find it 'cooked' the pool treatment in to 'pea soup'.



  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,499

    Re: Bestway (Intex?) AGP in garage, full year solution for heat wanted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Houston144 View Post
    Wasn't trying to derail anything rather adding to the discussion that if you actually look at what I use, one might assume like I did that one could be used instead of the other which if one actually reads the spec sheet and compare them, one is used in cool water and is has a lower working temperature range and different chemical ingredients than the other. Two different treatments because of the water temperatures.

    Two days is alls it took to thrust me into the learning curve when I took off my hot tub cover just to find it 'cooked' the pool treatment in to 'pea soup'.
    What we are trying to say is that the methods taught here a different than the industry teaches. Many here use chlorine in their spa with no problems. How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rochester Ny
    Posts
    14

    Re: Chemicals Used

    Ok, back up for a minute from your keyboard, here or there .... What is your objective as a moderator when a member just mentions that a operative temperature for chemicals in different water temperatures Is something to pay attention to causes you to responded like that this?

    Using them, and fixing them after is the question, treating a hot tub like a pool will cake and bake the flow and temp sensors.



  7. Back To Top    #7
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,499

    Re: Chemicals Used

    Quote Originally Posted by Houston144 View Post
    Ok, back up for a minute from your keyboard, here or there .... What is your objective as a moderator when a member just mentions that a operative temperature for chemicals in different water temperatures Is something to pay attention to causes you to responded like that this?

    Using them, and fixing them after is the question, treating a hot tub like a pool will cake and bake the flow and temp sensors.
    Our objective is to teach pool/spa care based on science.

    Your comment that "treating a hot tub like a pool will cake and bake the flow and temp sensors." is not true. Many of our members (myself included) treat our spas with the exact same chemicals as we do our pools. And when we talk about chemicals we are mainly talking about chlorine.

    To quote Dave, Site Owner of TFP:
    Throughout TFP, you will read that we suggest certain levels that good science and practical experience has taught us fall within safe ranges.

    Further reading of posts here will draw you to the inescapable conclusion that these guidelines work.......in thousands and thousands of pools worldwide.

    You may or may not choose to use these methods and guidelines or you may use some and not others. Our goal is to teach you what has been proven time and time again and then let you use that information to your benefit.
    Again, as a new member here I recommend you read through Pool School.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rochester Ny
    Posts
    14

    Re: Chemicals Used

    If, you might want to take something like this to a 'PM' instead of grab and drag in public view, seems the members are not allowed to have an objective opinion, is that the case? Have had 5 pools (upgrades over the 13 years) and 2 two hot tubs (one regular and now a portable both where broken due to Previous Owners neglect which I have DIYed\repaired ALL and upgraded myself) which just noticing both a pool and a hot tub only have one thing in common and that is the water, the differences in the equipment, sensors and variable speed pumps are problems 'down stream' that can be effected by water temperature and chemicals that are used to treat the common water, one isn't the other which a new member being objective to this caused this to be our meet and greet, serious? Seems you drop the ball on that old thread about the pump failure on the Intex Pure Spa hot tub pump replacement.

    Want a photo essay and parts list to DIY that fix and how to remove and clean the flow and temperature sensor(s) during the upgrade for your library for you know next time?



  9. Back To Top    #9
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,999

    Re: Chemicals Used

    I have used my TF100 test kit and bleach, borax and muriatic acid to maintain my hot tub for over two years with no issues whatsoever. In fact, the water is so nice that I have only drained and refilled three times and it really didn't need it. Our water is consistently very nice and the tub is used at least several times per week.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Shallotte, NC
    Posts
    693

    Re: Bestway (Intex?) AGP in garage, full year solution for heat wanted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Houston144 View Post
    ......one might assume like I did that one could be used instead of the other which if one actually reads the spec sheet and compare them, one is used in cool water and is has a lower working temperature range and different chemical ingredients than the other. Two different treatments because of the water temperatures.
    What you say is true, as far as it goes. Chlorine is used rapidly at high temperatures. Bromine can just "go to sleep" and must be reawakened. However, if you wrap your head around both chemistries, chlorine can be employed in a spa and bromine can be used in a pool not open to the rays of the sun. The difference is how you manage the effects.

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Patrick_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midland TX
    Posts
    15,001

    Re: Chemicals Used

    This has nothing to do with a "grab and drag" but simply that you will be challenged when you make statements like "cake and bake." Further, no one said to treat the Spa EXACTLY as you would a pool, merely that the same (or some of) the same chemicals are used. There are very specific methods for Spa Treatment here, and they differ from pools in Significant ways. There is nothing in the methodology we teach regarding pools or spas will destroy sensors or any other equipment. Quite the opposite in fact. You are absolutely entitled to your own opinion, but when you state it as fact, you are going to be challenged.

    Chemistry aside, it's your commentary and tone toward here that concerns me. We run a friendly forum, and disrespectful, snide, or insulting comments will not be tolerated whether they are made to moderators or any other members.

    This discussion is over-Do not reopen the argument.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •