Average bleach usage for season

I am wondering why you are asking. I hope it's not to pre-buy for the season. The house next door to us sold, and the new neighbors were really impressed with how great our pool looked. After talking about how I used liquid chlorine for my sanitizer, they went out and bought something like 25 cases of 12.5%! What a waste, as chlorine loses it's strength within a short amount of time.

To answer your question, I have a CYA between 35-40. I raise my FC to high levels only at open and close; I clean my light niches then too. That takes about 5G of 12.5% for both. Then I use about 1.5G per week at the ends of the season and about 2G during peak.

Your maximum usage, in the hottest summer months, will be about 3 ppm/day, when water temps dip below 60 degrees, it drops to zero, other months, in purgatory, could be figured at about the average of the two. For you, I'd guess at about 90 gallons, absolute max.... for the first buy, and then adjust as necessary. (Note: that is a high figure, because I didn't calculate a closing. Deduct for closing the pool.)

If you are contemplating a seasonal buy, the LAST thing you want to do is take delivery of [X] amount of cases of bleach. It is (IMHO) smart to contract for [a lot of] bleach at the beginning of a season, payment to be agreed upon, with weekly draws against your account out of the vendor's fresh stock. Otherwise, that awesome 12.5% you bought will be about 5%, when you get around to using the last of it..... YMMV.

Buy short, the first year, unless the vendor is willing to carry over to the next season. Just don't "stock up," yourself.... and check the manufacture date on the bottles you pick up....

During the swim season, my 16000 gallon pool uses roughly a quart of 12.5% every day. Your pool is slightly larger, so figure maybe 2 gallons 12.5% per week. Unless it gets a whole lot of usage, wherein it will need more. If you're using bleach, that will equate to about 3 gallons of 8.25%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Andrew, I'm located just north east from you. Last season, I used a total of 72 gallons of 12.5% from April through the end of September. The pool really doesn't get used in April, I just add chlorine to it to keep the water clear so when I finally pull off the cover in mid May the pool is clear and clean. Pool also gets little use in September, but it remains open until the water temperature gets down into the 60's and closed at the end of the months. Around here in CT, the best price for chlorine is at Ocean State Job Lot, at $2.99 a gallon.

Thanks for the info helps a lot. Sounds similar to the chlorinator operation I have minus the cya increase. I'm used to testing every day and changing the dial on my current system. I think the liquidator will work good for my system. You recommend the 3/8 upgrade? And where did you purchase yours. I have a variable speed pump which runs at one setting for 12 hrs a day. Only change speed for vacuuming.

Once you get it dial in, you'll find that that you will only need to make adjustments, around once a week at the most. I do have the 3/8 upgrade. I bought it with the system, so I really never used the stock 1/4 components. Although I can't recall who I bought from, I did buy it on line and it cost around $175 with the 3/8 upgrade for the 8 gallon version. Here's a link to one being sold by PTS (via Amazon) for $180 with free shipping. PTS may have been who I purchase from.
Amazon.com : Hasa Pool The Liquidator, 8 Gallon, Standard : Patio, Lawn Garden

I have a single speed motor and run it for 7 hours a day. You are going to need a little more that 1/2 have the daily chlorine I use and you will be running you pump almost twice as long so you will be closing down on the flow more than me. The stock 1/4 turn valve is somewhat difficult to make fine adjustments in flow, so I recommend that you also get a pinch valve and just use the stock valve as a shutoff valve. Here is the pinch valve that I use, 5/16" to 3/8" Flow Control Needle Pinch Valve . I got it directly form US Plastics.

I say order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need for a couple of years normal use. While you are at it pick up a SpeedStir and Sample Sizer (they are bot at TFTestkits.net. Both of these make the testing easier and for a couple of the tests the Speedstir make the test more accurate.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.