Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Average bleach usage for season

1. Back To Top    #1

Average bleach usage for season

Trying to get an idea of an average amount of bleach most are using for a season.
    16'x34' Kidney 17000 Gallon IG Vinyl liner. Pentair IntelliXF vs pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter. Liquidator, TF-100 Test kit w/ speed stir. Aqua Comfort heat pump, Dolphin Apollo robot, clear solar cover, stamped concrete deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Average bleach usage for season

Every pool will be different. My 23,000 gallon in full SC sun uses about 3, 121 oz 8.25% bottles a week.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I am wondering why you are asking. I hope it's not to pre-buy for the season. The house next door to us sold, and the new neighbors were really impressed with how great our pool looked. After talking about how I used liquid chlorine for my sanitizer, they went out and bought something like 25 cases of 12.5%! What a waste, as chlorine loses it's strength within a short amount of time.

To answer your question, I have a CYA between 35-40. I raise my FC to high levels only at open and close; I clean my light niches then too. That takes about 5G of 12.5% for both. Then I use about 1.5G per week at the ends of the season and about 2G during peak.

4. Back To Top    #4

Your maximum usage, in the hottest summer months, will be about 3 ppm/day, when water temps dip below 60 degrees, it drops to zero, other months, in purgatory, could be figured at about the average of the two. For you, I'd guess at about 90 gallons, absolute max.... for the first buy, and then adjust as necessary. (Note: that is a high figure, because I didn't calculate a closing. Deduct for closing the pool.)

If you are contemplating a seasonal buy, the LAST thing you want to do is take delivery of [X] amount of cases of bleach. It is (IMHO) smart to contract for [a lot of] bleach at the beginning of a season, payment to be agreed upon, with weekly draws against your account out of the vendor's fresh stock. Otherwise, that awesome 12.5% you bought will be about 5%, when you get around to using the last of it..... YMMV.

Buy short, the first year, unless the vendor is willing to carry over to the next season. Just don't "stock up," yourself.... and check the manufacture date on the bottles you pick up....

5. Back To Top    #5

Not looking to pre purchase, just wanted to compare the bleach usage to the chlorine packs I'm looking to change out. Used three for the season and 12 bottles of unnecessary shock. Thanks for all of the responses.
    16'x34' Kidney 17000 Gallon IG Vinyl liner. Pentair IntelliXF vs pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter. Liquidator, TF-100 Test kit w/ speed stir. Aqua Comfort heat pump, Dolphin Apollo robot, clear solar cover, stamped concrete deck.

6. Back To Top    #6

Chlorine packs for your frog mineral system?

7. Back To Top    #7

During the swim season, my 16000 gallon pool uses roughly a quart of 12.5% every day. Your pool is slightly larger, so figure maybe 2 gallons 12.5% per week. Unless it gets a whole lot of usage, wherein it will need more. If you're using bleach, that will equate to about 3 gallons of 8.25%.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

The chlorine feeder is installed after the mineral feeder.

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you plan on keeping the mineral feeder hooked up? We are not huge fans of mineral systs.

10. Back To Top    #10

No, I'm looking to ditch both the mineral and current chlorine feeder, I'm thinking of trying the liquidator.

11. Back To Top    #11

The Liquidator does not play well with variable speed pumps. You may want to investigate a Stenner pump.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

12. Back To Top    #12

My variable speed pump is pre set to a pretty high speed and runs from 7 am to 7 pm. I do not change the speed unless I'm vacuuming.

13. Back To Top    #13

Andrew, I'm located just north east from you. Last season, I used a total of 72 gallons of 12.5% from April through the end of September. The pool really doesn't get used in April, I just add chlorine to it to keep the water clear so when I finally pull off the cover in mid May the pool is clear and clean. Pool also gets little use in September, but it remains open until the water temperature gets down into the 60's and closed at the end of the months. Around here in CT, the best price for chlorine is at Ocean State Job Lot, at $2.99 a gallon.
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

14. Back To Top    #14

Seems like a lot but then again you have almost twice the size of my pool. I have a feeling that I wasn't adding enough. How do you like the liquidator.

15. Back To Top    #15

I like it a lot. At first I was a little envious of those with Stenners, but now I quite satisfied with the Liquidator. Here are links to some of my prior post on my experiance with it.

No more pucks, no more problems. Liquidator is my solution

Liquidator question ?

No more pucks, no more problems. Liquidator is my solution

Liquidator Function

Liquidator flow indicator....

Chlorine Liquidator Installed - Page 2
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks for the info helps a lot. Sounds similar to the chlorinator operation I have minus the cya increase. I'm used to testing every day and changing the dial on my current system. I think the liquidator will work good for my system. You recommend the 3/8 upgrade? And where did you purchase yours. I have a variable speed pump which runs at one setting for 12 hrs a day. Only change speed for vacuuming.

17. Back To Top    #17

Once you get it dial in, you'll find that that you will only need to make adjustments, around once a week at the most. I do have the 3/8 upgrade. I bought it with the system, so I really never used the stock 1/4 components. Although I can't recall who I bought from, I did buy it on line and it cost around $175 with the 3/8 upgrade for the 8 gallon version. Here's a link to one being sold by PTS (via Amazon) for $180 with free shipping. PTS may have been who I purchase from.
    Amazon.com : Hasa Pool The Liquidator, 8 Gallon, Standard : Patio, Lawn Garden

I have a single speed motor and run it for 7 hours a day. You are going to need a little more that 1/2 have the daily chlorine I use and you will be running you pump almost twice as long so you will be closing down on the flow more than me. The stock 1/4 turn valve is somewhat difficult to make fine adjustments in flow, so I recommend that you also get a pinch valve and just use the stock valve as a shutoff valve. Here is the pinch valve that I use, 5/16" to 3/8" Flow Control Needle Pinch Valve . I got it directly form US Plastics.

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks a lot for the info,helps a lot. One last question. Any of the test kits in the pool school info are the way to go? Once you get the kit we can buy replacement reagent? Or completely new kits.

19. Back To Top    #19

I say order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need for a couple of years normal use. While you are at it pick up a SpeedStir and Sample Sizer (they are bot at TFTestkits.net. Both of these make the testing easier and for a couple of the tests the Speedstir make the test more accurate.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

20. Back To Top    #20

Either way you go, refills are easily gotten!

- - - Updated - - -

The advantages to Taylor are the acid demand tests and the box itself. The main advantage to TFtestkits are the amount of reagents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast