Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Yellow Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Yellow Water

Hi,

So my pool water just had RO completed. Water was balance perfect with stabilizer added. Now we had a huge rain storm in San Diego area and my water is yellow from the soil runoff. What do I do to get back?

Thanks for the help!
    27K Gal, IG Plaster, Hayward EcoStar Variable Pump, Pentair DE FNS Plus Filter 24, Hayward AquaRite with extended life T-CELL-15
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Yellow Water

Unfortunately a whole lot of filtering, brushing and patience. Letting it settle then a very slow vacuum may help hasten the process.

Is it cloudy yellow or is it clear yellow? I assume its just dirty and not that iron or something else was introduced, but others can help if that is anticipated. Good luck.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Tool View Post
    Unfortunately a whole lot of filtering, brushing and patience. Letting it settle then a very slow vacuum may help hasten the process.

Is it cloudy yellow or is it clear yellow? I assume its just dirty and not that iron or something else was introduced, but others can help if that is anticipated. Good luck.
    Good news there is no dirt. Just clear yellow water like urine.
    27K Gal, IG Plaster, Hayward EcoStar Variable Pump, Pentair DE FNS Plus Filter 24, Hayward AquaRite with extended life T-CELL-15
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Can't be of much assistance without test results from a recommended test kit.

Usually it's a SLAM procedure that's on the menu.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Got a pic? I doubt that is from soil runoff. Assuming it's not, test results are needed.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd be interested in the pH and if you've added any acid just prior to this.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Got a pic? I doubt that is from soil runoff. Assuming it's not, test results are needed.
    So my water was crystal clear and balance yesterday until last nights major storm which we had over 2 inches or rain and we live on hill so water goes from one neighbor to the next.

Numbers:

FC 2.5, I going to add 2 quarts of liquid chlorine.
    CC .5
    TC 3
    CH 425
    TA 110
    CYA 40
    PH 7.8, I going to add 2 cups

Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds like a plan. Could be runoff (it would be awful to discover the upstream neighbor just applied Iron Sulfate to his roses!) or there could already be Iron in the water and the aeration from the rain raised pH enough to cause it to precipitate. Adjust pH, raise FC, and run the filter and see what happens.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Sounds like a plan. Could be runoff (it would be awful to discover the upstream neighbor just applied Iron Sulfate to his roses!) or there could already be Iron in the water and the aeration from the rain raised pH enough to cause it to precipitate. Adjust pH, raise FC, and run the filter and see what happens.

Lower or raise PH?

Thanks for your input! The pool was perfect with no metals and completed the RO prior.

Very frustrating!