Another New Build in South Louisiana

My wife and I just signed the contract today. Although, we still have to finalize the tile and plaster colors. We're going for a natural lagoon look with dark water and have plans to go with our pool designer next week to check out a couple of pools in person. Either way they're planning on digging in about two weeks and if all goes well we should be relaxing by the pool on St Paddy's Day. We're super excited and nervous at the same time. Wish us luck!

Pool

- Custom shaped Gunite pool
- Depth 3.5x5x5 Approximately 530 sq ft
- Sun-shelf with 9'' water depth
- 2 Main Drains
- 2 Skimmers
- Hayward Equipment set as per plans
- UV + Ozone Sanitation
- Stone Coping
- 6x6 waterline tile
- 2 LED Pool lights white
- Quartzscapes Plaster
- Sundecking on 5” concrete sub slab
- Raised Stone Spa with Waterfall

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 264
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You may find Pool School helpful now. Lot's of info in there to help you plan the details.

Neither UV nor ozone will sanitize your pool. If someone has sold you on that, they are mistaken. Please google those two subjects on this forum to find a lot more info.

Looks like it's going to be your own personal oasis! What are the dimensions of the pool and how much dedking are you getting? It looks like it will be great! Keep us posted as everything progresses.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You may find Pool School helpful now. Lot's of info in there to help you plan the details.

Neither UV nor ozone will sanitize your pool. If someone has sold you on that, they are mistaken. Please google those two subjects on this forum to find a lot more info.

The PB did say that it does require some chlorine, just not as much chlorine as a normal pool. SW really wouldn't work for us because we have an iron fence around our patio area and we didn't want it to rust anymore than it already has. The way they sold it with fewer chemicals, less worry of rust and cost wise was comparable so it seemed like it would work for us. I'll definitely do some more research on the subject as we still have a little time left to decide.

Looks like it's going to be your own personal oasis! What are the dimensions of the pool and how much dedking are you getting? It looks like it will be great! Keep us posted as everything progresses.

I don't have the exact figures right now. When we signed the contract they gave us a copy of that and the pic that I attached in the OP. There was another sheet plan that had all of the dissensions on it, but I don't we have a copy of that yet. We didn't want to overdo it on decking because we want to keep as much yard as possible. We have four dogs and two of them love to play Frisbee so we didn't want to give up too much of their "play space".

Swimming by March 17!?! That's amazing! Please post lots of pictures! We love pictures!

We hope so! The PB said that it should take about 40 days - weather permitting, of course.... With that said I've lurked here for awhile so I know how these kind of projects can get delayed. The PB also said that they will take pictures for us and upload them daily. I'm interested to see how that goes, but they a reputable builder here and everyone we've met so far seems great! Either way I'll post their pics or my wife's pics as soon as they get started.

The PB did say that it does require some chlorine, just not as much chlorine as a normal pool. SW really wouldn't work for us because we have an iron fence around our patio area and we didn't want it to rust anymore than it already has. The way they sold it with fewer chemicals, less worry of rust and cost wise was comparable so it seemed like it would work for us. I'll definitely do some more research on the subject as we still have a little time left to decide.

I don't have the exact figures right now. When we signed the contract they gave us a copy of that and the pic that I attached in the OP. There was another sheet plan that had all of the dissensions on it, but I don't we have a copy of that yet. We didn't want to overdo it on decking because we want to keep as much yard as possible. We have four dogs and two of them love to play Frisbee so we didn't want to give up too much of their "play space".

We hope so! The PB said that it should take about 40 days - weather permitting, of course.... With that said I've lurked here for awhile so I know how these kind of projects can get delayed. The PB also said that they will take pictures for us and upload them daily. I'm interested to see how that goes, but they a reputable builder here and everyone we've met so far seems great! Either way I'll post their pics or my wife's pics as soon as they get started.

I would encourage you to take your own pictures as well. When my sister and I went to Hawaii a couple of years ago, we went snorkeling with a small private group run by marine biologists. They documented every excursion they did for their study purposes as well as providing their customers with great quality photographs of the dolphins, sea turtles and various sea life we encountered. Best money I ever spent!! However, during the excursion we were on, one of the girls was using a new-to-her camera. She had it on the wrong shutter speed and there were no salvageable pictures of our trip. Bummer for them, heartbreaking for me and my sister.
All that to say, don't count on other people for your once in a lifetime event. You never know what might go wrong.

I would encourage you to take your own pictures as well. When my sister and I went to Hawaii a couple of years ago, we went snorkeling with a small private group run by marine biologists. They documented every excursion they did for their study purposes as well as providing their customers with great quality photographs of the dolphins, sea turtles and various sea life we encountered. Best money I ever spent!! However, during the excursion we were on, one of the girls was using a new-to-her camera. She had it on the wrong shutter speed and there were no salvageable pictures of our trip. Bummer for them, heartbreaking for me and my sister.
All that to say, don't count on other people for your once in a lifetime event. You never know what might go wrong.

Aww, that's terrible, but it sounds to me like you need another once in a lifetime event in Hawaii! :D

We went to Oahu in 2010 and loved it so much there that we got married in Maui in 2012. On both trips Snorkeling was definitely one of my favorite experiences. If anyone ever goes to Maui my advice to go on on the Blue Water Tours. They take you around to sea caves and coves and let you out to snorkel along the way. It was really amazing and easily my favorite activity... well, besides getting married, of course.

Aww, that's terrible, but it sounds to me like you need another once in a lifetime event in Hawaii! :D

We went to Oahu in 2010 and loved it so much there that we got married in Maui in 2012. On both trips Snorkeling was definitely one of my favorite experiences. If anyone ever goes to Maui my advice to go on on the Blue Water Tours. They take you around to sea caves and coves and let you out to snorkel along the way. It was really amazing and easily my favorite activity... well, besides getting married, of course.

This was my 2nd time on Oahu, my sister's first time and my first snorkel adventure! This was definitely the crew to snorkel with and it was just 6 of us. Not touristy, not crowded, LOTS of dolphins (bottle nose and spinner) and sea turtles as well as tropical fish. Even saw baby dolphins with their mamas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To each their own, but I would not build another pool that WASN'T salt water. I don't know the exact evaporation rate for S. LA, however, I can't imagine that it could contribute measurably to the decay of your fence. You should definitely Google ozone pool systems (or better yet, search this forum). None of us make any money from selling you one over another, so measure that feedback and do what feels right to you.

For you zone, you may also want to consider installing a solar pool system. It would extend your pool season. You'll be swimming in no time!!

This was my 2nd time on Oahu, my sister's first time and my first snorkel adventure! This was definitely the crew to snorkel with and it was just 6 of us. Not touristy, not crowded, LOTS of dolphins (bottle nose and spinner) and sea turtles as well as tropical fish. Even saw baby dolphins with their mamas.

We got lucky because we only had two other couples with us on our snorkeling trip. We saw all of those things as well and have some pics that I'll have to break out at some point.

Those shots are just what I was looking for! The really give us an idea of what you are working with.

Of course you know that we would love to see pics of the dogs as well!

Kim

Here they are. The first pics is at Christmas and the second one is last summer when they were eating doggy ice cream. That's the opposite corner of our yard from where the pool will be.

c3.jpg

c3.jpg

To each their own, but I would not build another pool that WASN'T salt water. I don't know the exact evaporation rate for S. LA, however, I can't imagine that it could contribute measurably to the decay of your fence. You should definitely Google ozone pool systems (or better yet, search this forum). None of us make any money from selling you one over another, so measure that feedback and do what feels right to you.

For you zone, you may also want to consider installing a solar pool system. It would extend your pool season. You'll be swimming in no time!!

Thanks for your input. Ozone was actually less expensive upfront than Saltwater which was part of the reason for us going that route. The PB didn't really push us one way or the other. A few years ago we had looked at a house before that had a saltwater pool and the fence was severely rusted so that was one of reasons from staying away from SW. I've been doing more research and plan to ask our pool builders more questions next week when we meet to pick colors.

That is one nice yard to build a pool and still have room for playing... Look forward of seeing your progress.... I hope that you have better luck than me with your build. My build said 4 months then it took 9 months! Happy swimming summer 2016!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

That is one nice yard to build a pool and still have room for playing... Look forward of seeing your progress.... I hope that you have better luck than me with your build. My build said 4 months then it took 9 months! Happy swimming summer 2016!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks! We were fortunate to have a yard as big as we do. We batted around the idea of moving to a house that already had a pool and we couldn't find one that would give us the yard room that we have now unless... well unless bought a house that more than doubled our current payment. :crazy: Plus, then we wouldn't have the satisfaction of designing our own pool.

Sorry that your pool took so long, but from the looks of you thread it was worth the wait. I'm anxious to get ours started and I am hoping that everything goes smoothly. If you look at the pic in Post $8 that white building across the street is a sno-ball stand. If/when something goes wrong I'm just going to go to try not to sweat it and instead go to my "happy place" of imagining eating nice stuffed sno-ball by the pool. Hopefully that works!

giphy.gif

They laid the pool out yesterday and they're digging today.

Qr2v7CK.jpg

3cagqpt.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.