Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Whisperflo Pump Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Whisperflo Pump Problem

I have a Whisperflo pump and the o-ring is not sealing on the strainer basket. I have replaced the o-ring and still the same problem. The pump is pulling in a lot of air past the o-ring. Anybody out there know how to fix this? Thanks
    32,000 gallon inground plaster pool/spa combo spillover. Aqua Rite Pro with Sense and Dispense. Jandy iAquaLink Control. Polaris 280 vac. Sheer Descent, Fiber optic deck jet water feature. Vanishing wall. Whisperflo pumps, Pentair clean and clear cartridge filters.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Whisperflo Pump Problem

Depending on how big the flaw is that is causing the air leak Silicone gasket lube might work it's roughly the consistency of Vaseline and won't damage the gasket. There are a few brands for pools or food grade used on draft beer systems is basically the same thing. Amazon is usually the most convenient and a bit less expensive than getting it in a store.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

I will give that a try. Thanks
    32,000 gallon inground plaster pool/spa combo spillover. Aqua Rite Pro with Sense and Dispense. Jandy iAquaLink Control. Polaris 280 vac. Sheer Descent, Fiber optic deck jet water feature. Vanishing wall. Whisperflo pumps, Pentair clean and clear cartridge filters.

4. Back To Top    #4

I too was getting a lot of air past my whisperflo pump and it was constantly losing prime. I took the lid off and looked in the leading inside edge of the pump as well as the outside just below the tab that holds the lid on. I found a hairline crack. I used mr sticky glue on both sides and it appears to be holding at least for now. I did try JB Weld but that didn't even hold 1 day.

5. Back To Top    #5

How do you know that it's a bad O-ring?

Has the pump run dry recently?

Is the skimmer running dry?

Try turning the pump on and off a few times to see if you can see water squirting out when you turn the pump off.

6. Back To Top    #6

How do you know that it's a bad O-ring? I tried replacing the o-ring and it still did not seal.

Has the pump run dry recently? NO

Is the skimmer running dry? NO

Try turning the pump on and off a few times to see if you can see water squirting out when you turn the pump off. Some water does leak out around the cover when I turn the pump off.